Thread: Trying to build a music media center need help/suggestions

Beans

Trying to build a music media center need help/suggestions

Hey all I am trying to build a media center for music for me and my roommates to use. Basically I want to build a system just for playing music. Idealy (dare i mention itunes in here) I would love a computer just just booted into itunes(orsomething like it (or better) that just was for playing music.

I plan on buying a computer, like a tiny desktop (i dont want to take up a lot of room) with a huge hard drive just for holding music, and needs usb drives/cd drive for loading music onto it (or just a usb drive). Then get a small screen, not huge with a remote that does not run on wife. Also would like a keyboard on the remote if possible.

Anywho whats a good media center, and can I boot just straight into the media center? I would like support for; browse by artist, album and just song name. Also I would like to be able to make playlist within it, and it needs to be able to support a massive amount of songs.

Any suggestions on desktop computers to use for this project and remotes that I could use? Also how would you suggest the best way to go about doing this? I would love if it booted straight into the media player. Internet is not a huge deal to me, might connect to internet once just to grab album artwork. So a media player that auto fetches artwork too would also be nice.

Thanks for your time and your suggestions!

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Trying to build a music media center need help/suggestions

Try http://vortexbox.org/ for your instant music server

Try an Asus EB1012/EB1501 or Acer Revo for the PC (250gb HDDs ?)

Not sure about remote but you can get wireless keyboards that function like remotes
    No longer participating......

Beans

Re: Trying to build a music media center need help/suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Catre-Vandis View Post
    Try http://vortexbox.org/ for your instant music server

Try an Asus EB1012/EB1501 or Acer Revo for the PC (250gb HDDs ?)

Not sure about remote but you can get wireless keyboards that function like remotes
    vortexbox, looks awsome thanks!! Also the asus looks nice to but if anyone has any more suggestions please let me know, I want options.

Also are there any small touch screen devices I could run vortex on for playing the music from?