Thread: Firefox pop-up blocker

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Firefox pop-up blocker

ever since i installed Lucid, firefox's pop-up blocker has been much less effective, I'm getting four or five pop ups per session, and i have never put any exceptions into firefox's settings under the pop up blocker. any reason this should be happening?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Re: Firefox pop-up blocker

Same here. Sites can "take over" control of Firefox too. The only way out is to click on the little down arrow
    beside the reload button and go back about 2 or 3 pages.

I even checked "Warn me when web sites try to redirect or reload the page" and I get no warning.
    Check Java Version | Install Java via WEB UPD8 PPA
    Creating a Custom Maintenance Free GRUB2 Screen Community Wiki
    Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.84Ghz. 4.0GB DDR2 RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 9800 GT

Beans

ditto
    Registered Linux User: 450747 Registered Ubuntu User: 16269

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

I installed NoScript and that seemed to help. It gives you the capability of middle clicking on each site asking for
    permission (on the icon in the bottom tight corner) and that opens up a tab that has some sites to check the security of that site.
    I find the 1st site the most benificial. So you know what you're getting into before hand.
    The 4th site on that page tells how many times in the last 90 days anyone has gotten a virus or trojan from that site. Pretty handy knowledge!
    Like a friend of mine says "handy as a pocket on a shirt"!

You can give temporary or permanent permission to only the ones necessary to use that site. IE. youtube needs youtube and ytimg to view videos.
    And both have good rankings. But the rest do not need access as as they are rated very untrustworthy.

BTW, if your Firefox doesn't automatically switch to the new tab, Click Edit > Preferences and then click on Tabs and place a check mark on the bottom option.
    I know it's default is no check mark there.
    Check Java Version | Install Java via WEB UPD8 PPA
    Creating a Custom Maintenance Free GRUB2 Screen Community Wiki
    Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.84Ghz. 4.0GB DDR2 RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 9800 GT