Thread: Permission problem?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Permission problem?

Hi all. I'm having problem with ubuntu. I've installed it onto my PC. It works very good, but sometimes (randomly?) it boots and works very... Strangely. I have no sound, and most things works only with sudo (for example buttons Reboot and Shutdown causing logoff, only "sudo reboot" works). From GNOME, accessing non-system disks (NTFS) fails with "Not Authorized", but KDE asks for admin password and opens these disks.

Anything returns to normal after few reboots. What's this can be?

Ubuntu 10.04 LTS with installed kubuntu package (however, i use GNOME and installed KDE only for few programs).
    Last edited by NilPointer; August 27th, 2010 at 12:11 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Permission problem?

I'm new to ubuntu and i'm absolutely not know what to do.

Beans
    Distro

Again this problem occured. What to do?

I tried to reboot about 5 times, but problem persists. When i started Ubuntu in failsafe mode, it worked normally. When i rebooted it and started it normally again, it worked improperly.
    Last edited by NilPointer; August 28th, 2010 at 12:31 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Can this be PolicyKit bug?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by NilPointer View Post
    Hi all. I'm having problem with ubuntu. I've installed it onto my PC. It works very good, but sometimes (randomly?) it boots and works very... Strangely. I have no sound, and most things works only with sudo (for example buttons Reboot and Shutdown causing logoff, only "sudo reboot" works). From GNOME, accessing non-system disks (NTFS) fails with "Not Authorized", but KDE asks for admin password and opens these disks.

Anything returns to normal after few reboots. What's this can be?

Ubuntu 10.04 LTS with installed kubuntu package (however, i use GNOME and installed KDE only for few programs).
    Have the same problem with Lucid after updating last night, rebooted, cannot mount by clicking other drives that I used prior to reboot says unable to mount c (or D) Not Authorized. I go to user manager and can't change any of the settings or add another user. I reinstalled it this time after it started this last week. This must be a bug. Any ideas? I have Windows 7 installed on a different partition. I can't even click and mount an external hard drive. Also cannot restart or shutdown, just returns to the initial log in page. Thank you.

Beans

Just wanted to chime in. I am having this same issue at the moment. I was originally running win7 on the other partition, but when I booted into Ubuntu, I have no sound, and cannot access the partition I share between the two. How can I lose permission?