Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Should schools be using linux?

Beans

Should schools be using linux?

I think schools should be using linux its cheaper especialy during massive budget cuts and more secure. I talked to alot of sysadmins and they tell me the same thing over and over if linux gets as big as windows it will start getting viruses but i keep saying is that you have file permissions to prevent this and its open source so if one does appear you can patch the thing because they have alot of programmers working for them so put them to work then they bring up the argument that the amount of linux viruses has doubled in recent years so i do the math linux controls about 3% or so of all computers and they say it has about 100 viruses and windows has about 90% of all the computers and has about 1,122,311 written in 2007 alone right according to

http://www.cknow.com/cms/vtutor/number-of-viruses.html

for linux

http://www.desktoplinux.com/articles/AT3307459975.html

some anti-viruses have reported 30,000 new ones every day.
    90 / 3 = 30 and 1,122,311 / 100 = 11223.11 see how much higher the ratio is opposed to the amount of people use it is there are more than 11223.11 times more virus for windows than linux so linux does not have more viruses than windows.

Give me your opion please.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Should schools be using linux?

Yes, I think schools should be using linux, but not simply for the virus issue.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

This is a recurring discussion, but...

Not really, or at least primarily. Windows is what most of the world uses, so it makes sense that they learn something they can actually use. Some Linux schooling would probably be beneficial, and Macs not so much.

Beans

I thought recuring dicussions was the place to post such a thing. One more thing i left out when linux does update the don't have to reboot and i was reading a book a while back that said that linux is as unsecure as windows but all there examples were beta software so when they use those examples of course they are a die hard windows fan and knows very little about linux.
    Last edited by darkstarbyte; August 27th, 2010 at 10:09 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by darkstarbyte View Post
    One more thing i left out when linux does update the don't have to reboot
    There are some updates that do require a reboot, but maybe not as often as other OS
    (Was)Windows Free At Last
    "May You Have A Safe Trip and A Successful Journey"
    Linux user #432153 Ubuntu user #8521

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I don't really have a problem with schools using Windows, but I do think they should be using a freely-available office suite. I hate seeing my girlfriend downloading documents from her uni in Microsoft Word format, because not everybody can afford a $200 copy of Word. Especially not her.

Yes, Openoffice can open and save Word documents, but even I have qualms about saving back to Word format from within Openoffice because things might get lost in translation I've imported Word documents into Openoffice.org and lost formatting; this was recently too.

As far as I'm concerned, all documents should be given to students as paper or PDF, and for editable documents there should be Word and ODF versions available.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

Many schools are already using Debian since its beginning

However Ubuntu starts a little bit

Beans

As staff at a school I have to agree that it makes more sense for the students to use an OS that they are more likely to encounter IRL. That said, I also believe that there should be elective classes that give experience in other OSes. However, once again, the best choice here would be to use a distro that they would be likely to encounter in the workplace, so SUSE or RHEL would be the best options (OpenSUSE or Fedora would probably be compatible enough and cut down costs).

Concerning the use of MS Office in schools.... it comes back to the same point, the students are currently most likely to encounter this office suite in the workforce, and once you consider the educational rate at which such institutions get licensing, it just makes sense. One way to circumvent the compatibility issues would to have a user (I'm referring to your g/f specifically, 3rdalbum) save the file as .rtf or .doc if the instructor is going to insist on an actual Word format. .Rtf allows for formatting, but is probably about as compatible as you can get.
    Resolution help | Mac4Lin install guide|Fuduntu
    Quote Originally Posted by kamaboko View Post
    A suggestion for you...dump the "us vs. them" attitude ...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

In India, the CBSE board has incorporated Linux in the syllabi of the students of Class 9. However, the amount of study material give is too less and anyone can start without reading the materials.(The things that are covered in the book, are just about how to start and quit a program). Perhaps because all the IT teaching staff and writers in India are die hard Windows fans.

Personally, I think that schools should use Linux, but it is hard to implement due to the reasons stated above.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    I don't really have a problem with schools using Windows, but I do think they should be using a freely-available office suite. I hate seeing my girlfriend downloading documents from her uni in Microsoft Word format, because not everybody can afford a $200 copy of Word. Especially not her.

Yes, Openoffice can open and save Word documents, but even I have qualms about saving back to Word format from within Openoffice because things might get lost in translation I've imported Word documents into Openoffice.org and lost formatting; this was recently too.

As far as I'm concerned, all documents should be given to students as paper or PDF, and for editable documents there should be Word and ODF versions available.

Thats not what i am getting at what i am getting at is with all of these buget cuts linux is a great way

to go cheap lots of support and very few security problems.

Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast