Thread: Problems with CIFS shares

Beans

Problems with CIFS shares

Hi,

My system: Ubuntu 10.04 up to date

Since a few weeks I have the following problems with CIFS shares from my (Samba based) NAS device:

All CIFS shares have an entry in /etc/fstab:

Code:
    //192.168.130.13/software	/media/software		cifs	user,credentials=/home/marcus/cifs_credentials,iocharset=iso8859-1,uid=502,gid=502	0	0
    All shares are correctly mounted during boot and I can work on them.

However, I experience to major problems:
    1.) Automount for later attached USB devices or SD/MMCards are not working an more (I can mount them on Nautilus/Computer/SDCard)
    2.) In Nautilus I have double entries for all CIFS shares in the left panel, but only one entry per share is working. When I click the (not working) entry, I get an error message that his share is already mounted.

When I am not connected to my home network, so my CIFS shares are not reachable, automount of removeable drives works like a charm, so I expected something to break during the mounting of the CIFS shares in the boot process.

So, I put a "noauto" to the mount options in /etc/fstab.

Now, automount of removeable drives works fine - I only have single entry per share in my Nautilus left panel - BUT when I click on this entry, or try to mount the CIFS shares as a user, I get again an error message "Unable to mount".

It seems that you can't mount CIFS shares as a user even if you have that specified in the mount options of /etc/fstab. Adding the SetUID bit to /sbin/mount.cifs did also not work.

So, here I am, any help welcome!

bye
    Marcus.

Beans

Re: Problems with CIFS shares

Hello

I am andrew As the relationship progresses, however, it becomes clear that there is a lot going on beneath the candy-coated surface. This is particularly true of the CIFS protocol suite. The Network Neighborhood icon that appears on the Windows desktop hides a great deal of gear-churning and behind-the-scenes fussing.
    The large installed base of Microsoft's Windows products has granted de facto standard status to CIFS. Unfortunately, implementation documentation and detailed protocol specifications are scarce, incomplete, and inconsistent. This is a problem for network administrators, third-party CIFS implementors, and anyone else who wants to know more about the ingredients than is described on the bottom of the box.

__________________________________________________ _
    Earn an Extra $1000 to $1200 per month doing Part Time Data Entry Jobs! Work from home data entry jobs to post simple data submissions on Internet. Make $1 per entry. Easy form filling, data entry and ad posting jobs. No selling, No phone calls, No Marketing. No Investment. Bi-weekly payments. Full Training Provided. Pls visit: Data-Entry