Thread: Synchronize email, calendar and tasks between thunderbird and smartphone device

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Lightbulb Synchronize email, calendar and tasks between thunderbird and smartphone device

Hello everyone.

I have been struggling to set up and learn to use an efficient way of task & event management. At the moment, I use Thunderbird+Lightning with Gmail (IMAP) and it works OK. I would like to add a smartphone to the equation - I know it isn't cheap and I'm expecting to pay anywhere between $100 and $500 for one - since my old phone is slowly dying anyway and I need this to work for... well, work. I would like to be able to synchronize through bluetooth or wireless at home or whenever the phone gets near my laptop, as well as (if possible) whenever the phone gets near a wireless access point. I don't want to use 3g or any similar services. I have had no luck googling so far.

I have tried synchronizing with Google Calendar, only to be disappointed by the fact that it doesn't support tasks. I think the distinction between tasks and events is an important one and it keeps my calendar organized, so I'd hate to have to give it up.

I haven't chosen a phone yet, so I can adjust my choice to whichever brand or type (or OS) is best suited for what I need.

I would be grateful for any solutions suggested - thank you in advance!
    This message was brought to you by dvorak!
    Visit us on IRC as well: #ubuntuforums on irc.freenode.net

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Synchronize email, calendar and tasks between thunderbird and smartphone device

I've also been thinking I could split the problem up and use IMAP for mail, Google calendar for events and some third party software for tasks (e.g., rememberthemilk) - I'd still like to hear a few opinions from people who have experience with this, since I have none.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Synchronize email, calendar and tasks between thunderbird and smartphone device

Get an Android phone which will automagically sync your Gmail contacts, Google Calendar and other Google apps - works fabulously. I have an HTC Hero and the sync is seamless and efficient.

Hope this helps.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Thanks timgood. Does that solution handle tasks? If it does, it is the exact thing I'm looking for. Google Calendar doesn't support tasks, so I'm curious how you solved them.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Hi Jenda - Google calendar does support tasks: see this page.

I don't know about syncing TBird tasks with Google calendar - but will give it a try and report back.

Later: Seems that RTM (remember the milk) is the only option which will sync with Google tasks and has a plug in for Thunderbird.
    Last edited by timgood; August 27th, 2010 at 05:58 PM. Reason: More info...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Thanks again! I did look at rememberthemilk but figured I'd explore it into more detail once I'm sure there is no better option. I will use that for tasks, then. Now off to choose the right Android phone

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I also use a HTC but the Touch 2 which is Windows based, works fine with Gmail and the calender, tasks etc work good. In thunderbird I use the Google Calender Tab rather than Lightning as it displays the Google Calender in real time. I also use Zindus to synchornize my address book and that works seamlessly between my HTC and my Laptop, altogether great!

Beans

check out gtasks for any droid phone
    Linux is good for your health.

Beans
    Hidden!

Back to sleep old thread...