Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Mom digs Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Mom digs Ubuntu

Wife uses Ubuntu--loves it. Boots up faster, runs cleaner. She hasn't had a bad experience with it yet. She, also, doesn't deem herself "tech savvy," and she's fine with thing "working a little differently--that's just normal."
    desktops optiplex GX270, 512MB RAM and my server.
    Thinkpad x22 1.3Ghz P3, gen1 ATI mobility radeon 8MB, 640MB RAM, Mandriva 08 (runs compiz perfectly!).
    Dell I5150 2.3Ghz P4, Nvidia geforceGo5200, 256MB RAM, Gutsy Gibbon and Windows XP home

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I've also converted my mother, girlfriend, mother-in-law and my lil' sister. all using Ubuntu nowadays and it seems that they're more or less happy with it, except my sister. She's going to make her friend install Windows on her computer so she can once again use DC++. That's just because she doesn't know how to use torrents or limewire.
    Don't talk to strangers..
    AsRock939-DualSata2 | AMD Athlon64 X2 3800+ | GeForce 9800 GT | 2,5Gt DDR | Samsung HD160JJ | Logitech G15 | Samsung 226BW | Razer Diamondback

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

DC++. That's just because she doesn't know how to use torrents or limewire.
    I dunno you should be pressing the importance of not using Direct Connect ++ which is a security ridden mess at the best of times. Seems like your sister isn't thinking it through and going for the dangerous route all just so she can grab a few tracks of music?
    42 is not an anwser, it's an error code. the universe is saying 'Error 42: meaning to universe not found'
    Programmer, Teacher and Artist

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

my mom can open firefox ... other than that she can't tell one OS from another, not that she cares or anything.
    I am infallible, you should know that by now.
    "My favorite language is call STAR. It's extremely concise. It has exactly one verb '*', which does exactly what I want at the moment." --Larry Wall
    (02:15:31 PM) ***TimToady and snake oil go way back...
    42 lines of Perl - SHI - Home Site

Beans
    Hidden!

Heh, I got kinda annoyed at the constant calls of my mother to have me help fix her computer, so I installed Kubuntu Dapper Drake on it. Still need to upgrade it BUT, no calls since

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Talking Re: Mom digs Ubuntu

My mother has been using Ubuntu since Dapper Drake came out (I installed it in her PC) and she's so happy with it, she never boots into windows; does all her stuff from Ubuntu and even update her system by her own clicking on the orange update-manager icon. On one occasion, I had to boot her machine into windows and when she was gonna use it, she said something like "What the heck are you doing on windows? I want my Ubuntu back!"

Off Topic: By the way, I didn't know there was a section named 'Ubuntu Women' here in the forum; very interesting

I almost forgot about this thread. I suppose I should update to say that yes, Mom still uses Ubuntu. She upgraded through 5.10 to 6.06, 6.10 and then around 2007 bought a Dell-branded Ubuntu-preinstalled machine. That was about two years ago, and she upgraded through 9.04 and is soon to try 10.04 as well.

So that's almost five years of everyday Ubuntu desktop use. Just for the record, of course.
    Ubuntu user #7247 :: Linux user #409907
    inconsolation.wordpress.com

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by K.Mandla View Post
    So that's almost five years of everyday Ubuntu desktop use. Just for the record, of course.
    A poor way to define a BUMP!

Beans

Of course she's one of those computer illiterate people who believes "The Computer" = Windows. She also believes "The Internet" = Internet Explorer.
    Imagine her surprise when I showed her my PC

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345