Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mom digs Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: Mom digs Ubuntu

K.Mandla,

Very nice post! Just to let you all know, I have about 60 personal customers that I give pc techical support to. Out of that 60 I've converted 25 users to ubunutu (breezy & dapper) with the same result as K.Mandla's mom. I too agree whole heartedly that the linux desktop is ready for the average user.

Basically, I have to do the initial install & setup, then I put the user(s) through a 60 to 120 minute quick tutorial/guide on the deferences between ******* xp & unbuntu. I also bookmark serveral important ubuntu/links educational links for the user(s) reference and I also provide free phone & remote technical support for the first initial 90 days, and after the 90 days a charge a smalll fee.

I also support 12 business', which 8 have fully crossed over to ubuntu/linux for their server(s)/workstation(s). All in all, the user(s) that have made the jump to ubuntu/linux are very happy and have mentioned to me that their productivity has gone up. The two major reasons for accepting the change, when I've ask these customer(s) is price and viruses.

The reason for me posting this on this women's thread is because 60% of my user are female!

Happy computing!
    Last edited by CyberCam; May 15th, 2006 at 08:36 PM.
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will eat for life.

Just an update. ...

Mom is a huge Dapper Xubuntu fan now. She loves the running mouse splash screen, the blue environment and the easy right-click access menu.

Upgrading from 5.10 was a bit tricky because her laptop has a dreaded Broadcom wireless card in it, but I think I got most of the bugs ironed out, and she's back online again. Printer works fine, video works fine, USB mouse works fine ... she's a happy camper.

And while OpenOffice was just as good as Microsoft's Office for her, she says she likes Abiword even better because it starts faster and it's simpler.

Nice work, Ubuntu gang. Mom's more pleased than ever with Ubuntu!

EDIT: Well, unfortunately, only a week after installing Xubuntu, she's back to the Gnome-based desktop. It seems support for digital cameras wasn't as slick and easy under XFCE as it is under Gnome. So while she really liked Xubuntu, the digital camera problem was a dealbreaker.

No problem. Her laptop is plenty fast to run straight Dapper. And perhaps, if digital cameras have better luck in the future, she'll move back.
    Last edited by K.Mandla; June 12th, 2006 at 11:57 PM.
    Ubuntu user #7247 :: Linux user #409907
    inconsolation.wordpress.com

Beans

Yup i got my girlfriend on Xubuntu. I dont let her use windows because she ends up getting so much spyware and viruses on my computer.

Xubuntu ftw

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

My partner's been using 5.10 for six months or more and really loves it, apart from one odd glitch that means her network settings aren't saved (so she has to re-enter them every day) - but she now has some limited shell experience . I haven't bothered fixing it as I'm going to upgarde the box to 6.06 soon.

I'm writing this on the old box, which is running Xubuntu 6.06, that I'm setting up for my mother (whose ancient iMac just died). I cannot foresee any issues with it, but this is my mother I'm writing about

Have to admit that I'm really impressed with Xubuntu - I tried an earlier version of Kubuntu on my box and wasn't so impressed (primarily due to some installation issues), so went back to Ubuntu 5.10. Xubuntu, on the other hand, is really snappy and works very well on this old P3

Beans

My wife loves her Dapper KDE desktop (now that she has got the card game "pysol").
    I put Icons on the desktop for Email, Internet, Messenger etc.
    She likes the fact that all the things she normally did with windows are more or less the same and can't really see what all the fuss about Linux is about.

At least now I don't have to show her what firewall pop-up messages mean, or how to update the antivirus, because we use neither.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Smile Re: Mom digs Ubuntu

I'd like to install Ubuntu on my Mom's computer, only she is in Florida, I am in California. I checked her computer the other day,I got her to install realvnc,and sheesh,somehow her antivirus and firewall where not even there, don't know how that happened, anyway she had 7 virus's or is that viriii ??,lol
    Lucid Lynx 10.04 LTS
    Registered Linux User # 420894
    Registered Ubuntu User # 9207

Beans

Well linux is not really for the casual user if you have a person who knows how to work ubuntu in the house, alot of casual users without you will not even know about or how to get ubuntu on there system, let alone get things on ubuntu to work for them.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Quote Originally Posted by Icon41 View Post
    Well linux is not really for the casual user if you have a person who knows how to work ubuntu in the house, alot of casual users without you will not even know about or how to get ubuntu on there system, let alone get things on ubuntu to work for them.
    Really? Guess someone better let the folks at Canonical know so they can shutdown this "Ubuntu" nonsense.

Paul
    Google for Linux | How to install anything | Linux Guides | Where's Root?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by T700 View Post
    Really? Guess someone better let the folks at Canonical know so they can shutdown this "Ubuntu" nonsense.

Paul

Why are you following me around these forums, it just so happens everytime I post you have some witty thing to say back.

Thats not the point im trying to get across.

It might also bear mentioning that she hasn't the least technical inclination. She couldn't start up a terminal if she had to, and thinks .deb is a file specially made for someone named Debbie (that was just her idea of a joke, of course).
    That right there pretty much states what the average user would do with ubuntu, without him his mom would get frustrated and probly give up.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Quote Originally Posted by Icon41 View Post
    Why are you following me around these forums, it just so happens everytime I post you have some witty thing to say back.
    Don't flatter yourself. Even if I had the interest, I wouldn't have the time.

Paul
    Google for Linux | How to install anything | Linux Guides | Where's Root?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast