Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Stuck on boot , BusyBox ,initramfs...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Stuck on boot , BusyBox ,initramfs...

Quote Originally Posted by hhoyt View Post
    Ok.
    I don't think this is a WUBI install.
    You want 'Try Ubuntu 10.04 LTS'
    You can just reinstall, but seems a shame if only your boot is messed up. So go to:

APPLICATIONS/ACCESSORIES/TERMINAL and enter as follows
    sudo su << enter superuser mode
    blkid << view partitons (sounds like it is /dev/sda7 ?
    mount /dev/sda7 /mnt < mount your partion
    mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev < bind to your system (symlink)
    mount --bind /sys /mnt/sys
    mount --bind /proc /mnt/sys
    chroot /mnt <<< ok, change your /root over to the REAL Ubuntu
    update-grub <<< search out any O/S's
    grub-install /dev/sda <<< write the boot

Reboot <<3 finger salute, followed by 'restart' or click on icon in right uppermost corner, or alt-sysreq-'b', or p.o.r.

Best of luck,

Howard
    Howard, you're brilliant! This worked today.

BTW, I read about [ALT+SysRq + R,S,E,I,U,B] Next time my screen goes black and blank, maybe using this will allow me to reboot safely? Rather than power off and end up with the problem this thread responds to? Will try, but have saved your fix offline for emergencies! Thanks again!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pedropimenta89 View Post
    sorry but when I mount the partition(mount /dev/sdax /mnt), it don't do nothing. I wait a lot of time.
    same with me. Is there any other solution for me??
    can't mount my harddisk

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

This may be helpful as I had similar symptoms... where the kernel doesn't finish loading and I get stuck on the initramfs prompt with BusyBox.

The source of the problem was that I was installing Ubuntu 10.10 on one older Dell machine, then moving the SATA drive (installation target) to a newer Dell Precision T3500 workstation.

I guess the RAID configuration must have been different on the older machine, as I solved the problem by going into the System Setup>Drives>SATA Operation and selecting RAID Autodetect / ATA ..... (default was: RAID Autodetect / AHCI)

Again, not sure if it's the same problem, but hopefully someone will find this that's looking for an answer...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I have the same problem (busy box, initramfs, ubuntu 10.10) and I've tried the commands quixote have suggested and they didn't work ( I've noticed that my grub knows all the info that he suggested to supply, when I tried to edit the grub) and then tried to do as "hhoyt" suggest but when I run:
    Code:
    mount /dev/sda6 /mnt
    the terminal gives nothing as it's still working and it never finishes!!

what should I do?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

my problem seems to be as this guy says.
    I did a system update before the problem and I belive I downloaded a new kernal and it looks like initrd didn't rebuild right.
    the guy solved the problem by copying a file from another installation on the same computer (as he has 4 different installations with the same kernal). but I don't have a different installation and I have no idea what to do.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

but there is some difference
    the problem didn't start at the first reboot after the update
    it started after a system freez and a force reboot:
    I was using the computer then I tried to "switch the user" after I choosed "switch user" button the screen gone "black blank" with the mouse pointer, I didn't know what to do so I went to tty1 and logged in and (killed the X ) after I killed the X the system frooze so I made a force reboot and went into the busybox initramfs prompt

I hope I find a soulution.
    thanks for any help.

Edit: I've noticed that the alarms in my computer are different and they are as this thread
    it's because of force reboot. I've read that I can fix it from a slax live cd so I'm downloading one
    Last edited by baha'a; March 28th, 2011 at 09:06 PM. Reason: update

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rcrath View Post
    I had this busybox problem and could not do the grub purge because mounting the sda2 partition where linux resides would not happen from the maverick live CD. Trying to mount them gave a busy signal, saying another process already had hold of it, and umount showed it as not mounted yet.

Elsewhere I read that booting with a slax live cd, the partitions would not be automatically mounted and I could run e2fsck -y -f -v /dev/sda2 from a root text prompt. once I did that, I got my system back. Very easy solution once I found it, unfortunately finding it took 8 hours.
    This method absolutely worked for me. Had to run the option 2 times before it fixed everything. Thanks dude!!!

Beans

Quixote, I just wanted to say a hearty "thank you" for your posted solution! It worked perfectly for me and barely took any time at all. Smooth like butter.

Beans

Hi,

this problem keeps recurring for me. I had it on ubuntu. Made a fresh install to Mint and it is there again. Everything can work ok for couple of boots and then it is there again. I have used boot-repair +Unetbooting+usb-stick to repair it. Any ideas what I must do to get rid of it permanently?

-4udi

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have this problem after upgrading to 13.04. The good news is that the installer kept he old kernel (from 12.10), and i can select it form grub., which is working great.
    How can i make the new kernel boot? How can i reinstall it , or should i wait for a kernel update?
    Thank you.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast