Thread: To ssh ..... or to not ssh..... that is the question. (and also how)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Post To ssh ..... or to not ssh..... that is the question. (and also how)

If you want to skip the long intro/rant and get to the actual part where I ask for help, skip down to the send set of dashes.

-----------------------

Ok, so for a little background, take a look at this thread.

I had their system beautifully setup. It was wonderful! They were using Windows XP, had MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials), I also installed steady state and had it configured wonderfully where they were protected from anything negative happening. The mother had requested that I limit her daughter's access to certain websites, which I did. She also requested that I limit the amount of time and the time of day that the internet/computer is accessible, which I did.

I had also set up a VPN connection from my computer to her network. This allowed me to access her computer via the VPN and use either RDP or VNC to manage/administer the computer. I would use either RDP or VNC from either my win7 or Ubuntu system, didn't matter which as both worked fine.

The current issue is that after a few months of everything working smoothly, the mother fell to the daughter's constant whining and complaining. So the mother asked me to remove the steady state and internet monitoring/managing software. So I did but I warned her that her system was going to start to have issues eventually.

A little later, due to the continual whining of the daughter, I was asked to remove MSE because it "blocked access to some cool sites". In the "epic" words of the daughter: "It keeps saying that the site is known to infect computers but my friends visit it all the time and their computers are fine...." So I firmly warned the mother about the effects of removing MSE, but in the end it is her computer and so I removed it.

At that time, I disabled the VPN between our networks so that nothing could even remotely try to travel between hers and mine.

Then the mother asked me to change her daughter's account from a user to an admin account, but the catch was that I change the mother's from an admin account to a user account!!! My jaw dropped! I spoke with the mother for like 45 mins explaining what that means and the consequences of everything else up to that point and then also changing user rights. She didn't care. So I did it. I did it not because she asked me too but because I think that it will teach them a lesson in computer management and it will help them see. I washed my hands and walked away, knowing that soon events would take place that would cause them to ask me to fix it again.

Well it did to some degree. After like 6 months, they called me over to their house and started complaining that their computer was running slow, was not working like before, and that I had done something to it to make it not work properly.

I reminded the mother that I explained to her that this would eventually happen because she allowed her daughter to make it happen.

I scanned the machine for malware and found ........ no joke......... more than 6,000 pieces of malware!!!!!! Virii, trojans, fake virus scanners, worms, etc etc. You name it, they had it!!

So the mom finally accepted the fact that they had led to their computer's own destruction and failure.

I told her the only thing that I would do is install ubuntu on the machine and that neither of them would have admin rights to it. That I would admin it remotely and would block certain websites. She didn't like the idea of ubuntu but I told her tough, learn to use it, or go buy your own copy of XP/Vista/7 and install it yourself and manage it yourself.

So we agreed on ubuntu.

-------------------------------------

Here is where I need some help. First off, sorry about the long intro/rant. It is very frustrating when people just don't get it!!!

Ok, so previously I was administering their computer remotely via two different ways but they each basically did the same thing:

1.) Because it was a windows based system, I installed no-ip.com's client software on their system. It allowed me to assign a domain to their dynamic IP. Via that domain, I could then use VNC or RDP directly and gain access to their computer.

2.) Or I would use a VPN to connect, via the domain, and then tunnel through the VPN using VNC or RDP to gain access to their machine.

Pretty simple setup actually. A little slow and laggy but it was ok for what was needed.

But that was a windows based system. Due to what I explained above in my rant, they are going to switch to an Ubuntu based system.

no-ip.com has a linux client available but I really don't want to mess with it. I would rather use their router's dyndomain feature instead.

I also would like to use SSH instead of VNC or RDP.

Is it advisable to continue to use a VPN to connect our two networks and then SSH, or could I just use the ssh command with whatever their domain is, to connect?

Example:

Code:
    ssh  -X user@domain.com
    I really haven't ever used ssh and don't know too much about it. I am looking for some basic tips/pointers about it. I know that with the '-X' parameter it will give me a visual session of the server computer (the mom's computer) but other than that, I don't really know too much more about it. I have read some of the online docs and info and they were helpful but a more, human response sometimes is the best.

Also, in the off chance that I am connected to the admin account on the mother's machine via ssh and if the connection severs/fails, will my session on her computer end at the same time? I am concerned that if it is not, and it is still open, then the daughter/mother might have access to admin rights. But I guess that it all depends on if ssh opens the account on the desktop the same way that RDP does, right?

So as you can see, I am a little confused and need some clarification. Thanks!!!!

-Spydey

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: To ssh ..... or to not ssh..... that is the question. (and also how)

Also, in the off chance that I am connected to the admin account on the mother's machine via ssh and if the connection severs/fails, will my session on her computer end at the same time? I am concerned that if it is not, and it is still open, then the daughter/mother might have access to admin rights. But I guess that it all depends on if ssh opens the account on the desktop the same way that RDP does, right?
    They will not be able to see anything. It is somewhat like a web server where you can't hook up a monitor and watch all 12 million of your users browse your website.
    - Silverglade00

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Talking Re: To ssh ..... or to not ssh..... that is the question. (and also how)

Thanks silverglade00 for the response. I was hoping that it would work somewhat like that. That is good.

Anyone else have any pointers?

I forgot to mention that I have a second machine at my house that I can mess around with and try to work out the kinks before going over and actually setting it up on the mother's machine.

Ideas anyone?

-Spydey

P.S. what about the code that I had inserted? Would I be able to connect without a VPN by using their domain?

Code:
    ssh -X user@domain.com
    Any thoughts?
    Last edited by spydeyrch; August 26th, 2010 at 08:17 PM.

pricetech is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans

Just make sure the SSH server is running on their computer and that port forwarding is set up in the router.

I have to say though, I'm wondering if you're ready to be their admin if you have to ask how to set up SSH.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Also, ssh -X will let you use GUI programs. It will pop up the program on your computer instead of the computer it is logged in as. They won't see a thing. It will look just like any of your other windows except it will be laggy. Once you start using ssh, you will really get to know the command line and find yourself in the Terminal more because some things are just faster that way.
    - Silverglade00

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

which direction is the sharing going?

Quote Originally Posted by spydeyrch View Post
    So we agreed on ubuntu.
    Excellent.

I would recommend learning your way around the shell eventually, it saves a lot of time and effort.

When the ssh connection breaks, you are logged out, unless you've gone to other lengths to prevent that. So if you log in using ssh -X for GUI or ssh for regular shell and the connection breaks, you are logged out. If you are tunneling VNC over SSH then the person sharing stays as they are and the visitor loses the connection.

The first account set up by ubuntu gets admin privileges, you might make a second account without admin privileges and let her use that and give sudo privileges to kpackage or synaptic only.

If you need to walk her through admin tasks, then you can both use the admin account.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Wink Re: To ssh ..... or to not ssh..... that is the question. (and also how)

Quote Originally Posted by pricetech View Post
    Just make sure the SSH server is running on their computer and that port forwarding is set up in the router.

I have to say though, I'm wondering if you're ready to be their admin if you have to ask how to set up SSH.
    Setting it up and port forwarding via the routers is not difficult at all. I do it all the time with other windows machines via vnc, vpn, rdp, etc. But I have just never used ssh and thought that it would be a great opportunity to use it and learn from it. I have read around and seen that the majority of people say it is more secure then vnc/rdp.

Setting it up (install settings, access, etc) I don't need help with. Just thought that asking for any pointers, ideas, thoughts on how to do things more efficiently based upon other user's experiences would be a good idea. I always like to research as much as I can before I dive into something so that I have at least a reference and am prepared if something happens.

And you know what, it may be true that I am a novice at administrating an ubuntu machine, being as I don't have as much experience, but with windows, I have plenty. I am not too worried though. thanks for your concern.

Quote Originally Posted by silverglade00
    Also, ssh -X will let you use GUI programs. It will pop up the program on your computer instead of the computer it is logged in as. They won't see a thing. It will look just like any of your other windows except it will be laggy. Once you start using ssh, you will really get to know the command line and find yourself in the Terminal more because some things are just faster that way.
    Yes, I am aware that the -X parameter will give me a GUI on my end of the connection but will it only be the program that I am running on the server end that is viewable in the window? Or is it going to show me a "desktop", as if I was physically at the machine, and from there I would have access to the gui menus, etc.

I guess that I am basing my questions off of previous experience with RDP and VNC.

Thanks for the clarification.

-Spydey

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Arrow Re: which direction is the sharing going?

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Noodén View Post
    Excellent.

I would recommend learning your way around the shell eventually, it saves a lot of time and effort.

When the ssh connection breaks, you are logged out, unless you've gone to other lengths to prevent that. So if you log in using ssh -X for GUI or ssh for regular shell and the connection breaks, you are logged out. If you are tunneling VNC over SSH then the person sharing stays as they are and the visitor loses the connection.

The first account set up by ubuntu gets admin privileges, you might make a second account without admin privileges and let her use that and give sudo privileges to kpackage or synaptic only.

If you need to walk her through admin tasks, then you can both use the admin account.
    Thanks for the input. Yeah, I would say that I am not extremely versed with the shell yet, but I manage to get around fine on my home system in the shell. At home I have a triple boot system currently but it is always changing.

Home:

Win7 Pro x64
    Ubuntu 10.04 x64
    Mint 9 x64

I have been experimenting with ubuntu since 2005, on and off. I haven't really used it as a primary os until 9.04 and even more heavily now with 10.04. So I know my way around the shell for basic things but for more advanced things, I am still learning.

As far as the admin rights go, yes, I was already planning on not giving them admin rights, except for synaptic for updates and installing program that they may want.

After reading your post, I have a few more questions about ssh. Hopefully you don't mind me asking.

So from your brief description, to try and compare apples to apples as much as possible, it almost appears that ssh can be used as a vpn can. Meaning that it can be used to link to separate private networks together. Yet it appears that I could also use ssh directly, as rdp and vnc could. Am I correct in understanding that?

I guess I am going to test a bunch of things first on my network here at home to understand it better.

-Spydey

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

X11

... but with windows, I have plenty.
    That's a liability with computers, but curiosity and a interest in hacking will overcome that and get you up to speed quickly.

...will it only be the program that I am running on the server end that is viewable in the window? Or is it going to show me a "desktop", as if I was physically at the machine, and from there I would have access to the gui menus, etc.
    X11 is based on a client server architecture. The server is the display you see on your computer with access to the local mouse, keyboard and other devices. The client is the application you choose to run, such as firefox, konqueror or thunar. The connection is via TCP/IP. Using ssh with forwarding, you are forwarding the client-server connection over the net to another computer.

So you could forward, IIRC, either a desktop environment or a window manager. Any latency in the connection will be a pain and obviously the less traffic you have to forward, the faster it will feel. You will get faster results, just forwarding individual applications. My recommendation is that the shell be used for sysadmin tasks, since it is more robust, less affected by slow network connections, secure, and scriptable.

Here is a case in point, regarding the UI, using adding the closed source,but open standard, package Opera. If you use the shell:

Now consider how you would write out instructions for the same task using the GUI and kpackage or synaptic instead.

To be sure, you'll need the GUI to help walk them through various end-user tasks, but not for sysadmin.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Talking Re: To ssh ..... or to not ssh..... that is the question. (and also how)

Awesome! Thanks for that example. I went online and did some more research. I found a few tuts that are fairly simple to follow and a good resource for future reference. I think that is pretty clear now. I appreciate your help and patience.

Now I just have to test a few things on my local network and work out the kinks. Thanks again!

-Spydey