Thread: WiFi Routers with linux

Beans
    Hidden!

WiFi Routers with linux

Hello everyone,

I'd like to buy an adsl-router and install/flash the rom in manner to have a linux-box on it. This is useful to configure, also the normal routing functionality, other applications, such as http proxy or a lightweght ftp service.

I thought to use my eeepc 701 like wifi router (using hostapd), but his power consumption is expensive on the long times.

Does anyone know any customizable wifi-router on which I can easily install linux or do you have any other suggestion?

Thank you!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: WiFi Routers with linux

Any router that you can install DD-WRT or Tomato on?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Post Re: WiFi Routers with linux

I'm using WRT54GL for years now running DD-WRT. I'm quite satisfied with it. I run Wireless Distribution System on three routers and it's quite nice. I'm able to cover very large area, without the need to use any cables.
    If you want something more user friendly, check out DD-WRT and Tomatoo.
    I believe that OpenWRT is more close to the Linux environment we're all used to (though all third party firmwares are Linux based) and gives you more opportunities to play around and reconfigure the system. DD-WRT for example is more commercial, if you need more fancy features, you'll need to buy that package, but as far as I know with OpenWRT you can compile any additional package you need, just like in any other Linux machine, if you have enough resources off course I've been running only the free package so far...

Cheers,
    Boyan

Beans
    Hidden!

Thank a lot for all the replies!!
    I think will buy a router supported by OpenWRT because it seems just what I want!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Can't go wrong with the wrt54g series. I've been using them for years and years. Find a hot deal on an older one.