Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Linux users and bad GUI's?

NO... Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

It got to a point where it is just bad taste.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Cam! View Post
    I feel like I'm in a minority. After talking to many different users of Linux spanning across many distros, looking at "Post your Desktop" threads on forums, and looking at custom GTK/KDE themes, I have one question:

What's up with a lot of Linux users intentionally having, and wanting bad, old-looking GUI's? Many of them love old, simplistic, text-based GUI's with as minimal icons. On the other hand, you get really tacky "sleek" black and red, or black and blue themes. Hell, even the monochromatic ones are worse. I'm beginning to be under the impression that many Linux users want their desktop that way to intentionally appear like an experienced user who doesn't need a flashy GUI.

Having a good-looking interface won't mean your computer will slow down. This is 2010.
    It's simply a thing of taste. To them, it's obviously preferable. I doubt that it's anything to do with looking more experienced.
    Acer Aspire T650, 3GHz PIV 1.4Gb RAM ATi Radeon Xpress 200
    320+80GB SATA Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic x86_64 Windows XP Home SP3

Linux Expresso - Now featuring videos of my systems!

Just wanted to say thanks for one of the most amusing threads I've read in a while.

For what it's worth, here's a 120Mhz Pentium, 80Mb and an 8Gb CF card, using the framebuffer and screen on 2.6.31-something:

This is a 150Mhz Pentium MMX, with 32Mb and also with an 8Gb CF card, this time running Musca against xserver 1.8.2 and 2.6.32.2:

These, to me, are beautiful GUIs. If you don't like them, or think it's ridiculous to use 14-year-old hardware to handle day-to-day tasks, I don't really care.

Linux gives me the freedom to do those things, and questioning how someone else uses those freedoms is, in my opinion, beside the point. The point is there are no ugly GUIs.
    Last edited by K.Mandla; August 27th, 2010 at 01:05 PM. Reason: Typo.
    Ubuntu user #7247 :: Linux user #409907
    inconsolation.wordpress.com

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

i prefer openbox and icewm over any other window manager or desktop environment. i use cli only applications whenever i can regardless the amount of ram the computer may have. though lately, icewm has been my main choice - to me, it's a beautiful and logical window manager.

great blog K.Mandla! meant to tell you that a few days ago!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by evenrelation View Post
    If I wanted glamurous GUI, I would have opted for Windows 7 or Apple.

But I didn't, because I wanted minimalistic GUI.
    I want a glamurous GUI, and that is exactly why I use KDE. How are Win7 and OSX relevant at all? how is paying good money relevant to endless customization options linux natively has?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by K.Mandla View Post
    Just wanted to say thanks for one of the most amusing threads I've read in a while.
    +1

I got a good laugh out of it, too!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by K.Mandla View Post
    ... Snip ...
    They are indeed some very beautiful desktops

beew is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Why are you so obsessed with other people's choices and preferences. They don't affect you, do they ?
    I have no problem if some people choose to stick with old technology, either for the challenge or out of nostalgia, but don't tell me they are too poor to do a reasonable upgrade,--there are people in abject poverty but they probably have other priorities than to spend hours online arguing, -that is bull.

By being deliberately provocative, I am getting all these people who use ancient computers and floppies to admit that it is a choice rather than a result of poverty. Thus proving my point While I don't really care about your choice,--even though I sound as though I do to get the reactions I intended,--don't expect sympathy if your things are no longer supported.

Also, it is not I who is putting down others for not doing what I do, well yes , I am, but only as a reaction to people who think that they are somehow superior because they don't want or need guis or care for appearance while in fact making a statement of their own image as geeks. Someone said earlier that nice laptop and pretty guis are a noobish thing, or another guy telling you to use Windows if you want a nice interface.. etc. I find this a rather common attitude among some linux users, though the condescension usually more subtly expressed.
    Last edited by beew; August 27th, 2010 at 03:47 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by beew View Post
    I have no problem if some people choose to stick with old technology, either for the challenge or out of nostalgia, but don't tell me they are too poor to do a reasonable upgrade,--there are people in abject poverty but they probably have other priorities than to spend hours online arguing, -that is bull.

By being deliberately provocative, I am getting all these people who use ancient computers and floppies to admit that it is a choice rather than a result of poverty. Thus proving my point While I don't really care about your choice,--even though I sound as though I do to get the reactions I intended,--don't expect sympathy if your things are no longer supported.

Also, it is not I who is putting down others for not doing what I do, well yes , I am, but only as a reaction to people who think that they are somehow superior because they don't want or need guis or care for appearance while in fact making a statement of their own image as geeks. Someone said earlier that nice laptop and pretty guis are a noobish thing, or another guy telling you to use Windows if you want a nice interface.. etc. I find this a rather common attitude among some linux users, though the condescension usually more subtly expressed.
    so, in short, you're trolling.

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast