Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Linux users and bad GUI's?

Beans

Re: Linux users and bad GUI's?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Aesthetic opinion is just that, an opinion.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ElSlunko View Post
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Aesthetic opinion is just that, an opinion.
    I'm mid 20's and my eyes are failing me, so simple UIs and minimalistic features is what I like now.

Leave the shiny panels to the windows guys

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

To each their own I guess. For me I like having good appearances on my desktop, I like to keep things colorful mostly. I use a dock with auto-hide for my favorite and most used applications, gnomenu with the favorites tab with all those same applications plus the ones I use a lot, but not quite as often, and I got rid of the bottom panel. I liked the two panels at first, but I realized I could make it more flashy, as functional, and more organized than two panels with my top panel just loaded with icons. I also had issues with icons moving and being out of place 1/3 of my boots. I don't like the alpha blur on anything but my terminal and gnomenu.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

I used to have a dock, but honestly, I don't even know what I'd do with a dock anymore.. I hardly ever 'click' to open my applications .. I love PekWM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by Legendary_Bibo View Post
    To each their own I guess. For me I like having good appearances on my desktop, I like to keep things colorful mostly. I use a dock with auto-hide for my favorite and most used applications, gnomenu with the favorites tab with all those same applications plus the ones I use a lot, but not quite as often, and I got rid of the bottom panel. I liked the two panels at first, but I realized I could make it more flashy, as functional, and more organized than two panels with my top panel just loaded with icons. I also had issues with icons moving and being out of place 1/3 of my boots. I don't like the alpha blur on anything but my terminal and gnomenu.
    that's definitely colourful............
    Ubuntu 12.04 (best thing after 10.04) |Intel Dual Core 2.0GHz|1 Gb DDR2 RAM|Nvidia 8600GM| This PC was bartered for with an iRock from ancient Mesopotamia

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Why limit yourself when you could save a few quid and get your self a new one.

It just seems odd to stick with such outdated computers when the majority of smartphones now have equal or better specs.

I know it encourages this throw away culture but at the same time it helps speed up progression.

To the guy who said he still uses his 300MHZ pc, I bet that things huge, ugly, horribly unefficent and runs hotter than needed.

New PC's are better designed now. They're more efficient. When I used to have a Pentium 4/768MB computer it used to make a proper indent to the electricity bill leaving it on overnight torrenting or whatever. Now with my lovely new quad core/8GB of ram/now slightly aging graphics card it doesn't.

There's a reason people move onto newer, better things and thats because they ARE better.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Frogs Hair View Post
    Both Awn and GLX docks have the ability to change icon size. There are some nice dock icon sets that don't look like cartoons.
    I use an AWN theme I created as a quicklauncher / window list, and it autohides.

Also custom other stuff - I put the info on the first image.

Annoyingly I had to scale it down to attach the images, if you want the full size (1440x900) I can host them.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by TyrantWave; August 27th, 2010 at 09:59 AM.
    GCS d++ s: a-- C++ UL+++ P+ L++ E W+++ !N o-- K w+(---) !O M+ !VMS !PS PE Y PGP+ t 5 !X R !tv b++ DI++ D++ G++ e++>+++ h* r++ y+

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by beew View Post
    it is also possible to surf the internet with Lynx and take 5 minutes to load a pdf file.

[...]

Yes, the abacus works too and some old guys in Asia still use them, not because they can't afford a decent calculator, but because they consider that an art form.

[...]

I know quite a few people who use ridiculously outdated technology, not because they can't afford newer machines, but it is a challenge to be able to make these old gadgets semi functional using a "minimalist" setup.
    [...]
    Why are you so obsessed with other people's choices and preferences. They don't affect you, do they ?

Quote Originally Posted by beew View Post
    Now I am not sure what the poster's economical condition is but he never said he couldn't afford a new computer, but that the kind of ram he uses is no longer supported.
    supported by who ?
    http://www.puppylinux.org/wikka/MinReq

Beans

If I wanted glamurous GUI, I would have opted for Windows 7 or Apple.

But I didn't, because I wanted minimalistic GUI.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

I've got what I've got cos I got what I like, I do not need to justify my choice to anyone, and no-one else needs to justify their choice to me.

Why the need to put down some-one else's choices just to justify your own

Its whatever floats your boat / turns you on / rocks your canoe, so party on dude

Cheers David

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast