Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Linux users and bad GUI's?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Linux users and bad GUI's?

And it's certainly rampant in Australia (I never said it wasn't).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by beew View Post
    Well with 256 mb of ram you can hardly run anything even without the gui, so don't make it sound as though everyone is coming from the angle that pretty looking desktop is the be all and end all. Secondly how much does it cost to have an internet connection? I don't imagine a guy with a 10-15 year old desktop is getting free internet from wificafe or the public library. Probably pays a lot to s phone company using an antique modem. This is very expensive considering the functionality he gets.

I am not saying everyone should rush to buy the latest computer, --I am typing this from a 6 year old machine which I got for free and it works great, I collect old laptops but anything before 2003 is a waste of time for my purpose, but a 2003 laptop which you can get for almost free probably still has more ram than 256mb. At some point it just doesn't worth it. Surfing the internet with Lynx? Sorry, that is like using a slide rule, yes, it works, and it gives some old timers the perverse pleasure of having some secret knowledge, but I would get a cheap calculator instead.
    It is possible to run the minimalist types of desktop environments or WMs with ~50 mB of RAM in use. Get your facts straight. I myself run Openbox, with a compositor, and I think it looks great. Nothing gets in the way. 42.5 mB of RAM on boot. I do have more RAM in use (about 512) with Chrome (about 10 tabs) , Transmission, Audacious, and several terminal sessions. Not sacrificing any beauty or functionality.

Additionally, please do not assume everyone else on this forum has the same income as yourself. This is an international forum, and some users come from many different walks of life. It does cost a decent amount of money for an internet connection.

Scott
    "I use a Unix based OS, therefore I get laid about as often as I reboot."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Because i can

That response the 99,9% of the question "Why LiGNUx users ... "

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I use default everything on ubuntu. Why because I want to. Same reason anyone els changes. I don't see the problem here. What I may like some one else may not. I don't care. It is my computer. Now yes I have plaid with other DEs and I like gnome best.
    Last edited by bshosey; August 27th, 2010 at 03:19 AM.
    I am not a PC! I am not a Mac! I am a Human Being! Windows was not my idea!
    Ubuntu = $0.00, Software = $0.00, Updates = $0.00, Freedom = PRICELESS!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by matthew.ball View Post
    And it's certainly rampant in Australia.
    That sucks.

beew is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

It is possible to run the minimalist types of desktop environments or WMs with ~50 mB of RAM in use. Get your facts straight. I myself run Openbox, with a compositor, and I think it looks great. Nothing gets in the way. 42.5 mB of RAM on boot. I do have more RAM in use (about 512) with Chrome (about 10 tabs) , Transmission, Audacious, and several terminal sessions. Not sacrificing any beauty or functionality
    Yes, it is possible, it is also possible to surf the internet with Lynx and take 5 minutes to load a pdf file. I have seen some 'minimalist' systems at work. I used to have one with 256mb ram and a 56kb modem. I taught in a college and I had the option of submitting the grades through the internet. It took me 3 -5 minutes to submit a grade (they had to be entered separately) I had about 100 students and in the end I just took a trip to the college to enter the marks there.

Yes, the abacus works too and some old guys in Asia still use them, not because they can't afford a decent calculator, but because they consider that an art form.

You are presuming much about my economical condition as well as the other poster's. I am typing from a 5 year old computer which I got for free. When I got it it was full of virus and after some tinkering windows Xp wouldn't even boot, it was/(is still) overheating and the wireless card was dead. But it has a decent 1g ram and Ubuntu runs comfortably on it.

I know quite a few people who use ridiculously outdated technology, not because they can't afford newer machines, but it is a challenge to be able to make these old gadgets semi functional using a "minimalist" setup. You can even find tutorials on youtube by old timer geeks on how to tweak some 15 year old 'laptops' (they are bigger and heavier than a phone book) to work and those guys would insist that they had better sound than modern one. Nothing to do with poverty.

Now I am not sure what the poster's economical condition is but he never said he couldn't afford a new computer, but that the kind of ram he uses is no longer supported. Well what is the cost of adding ram as oppose to buying a newer computer? A 7-8 year old desktop would probably cost next to nothing even if you have to pay for it, and it would still have around 500mb of ram instead of 256.
    Last edited by beew; August 27th, 2010 at 05:15 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by beew View Post
    Now I am not sure what the poster's economical condition is but he never said he couldn't afford a new computer, but that the kind of ram he uses is no longer supported. Well what is the cost of adding ram as oppose to buying a newer computer? A 7-8 year old desktop would probably cost next to nothing even if you have to pay for it, and it would still have around 500mb of ram instead of 256.
    A Dell Latitude laptop with 1gb ram is currently going for .99 on ebay, with free shipping too

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by slackthumbz View Post
    make your gui look however you want and let others customise theirs to their tastes. Why do you care if someone elses desktop isn't to your liking?
    You're right here.

But I actually get a bit of an irritation when I see people, in any OS, using a browser full of toolbars they don't or rarely use, and don't know or care that they can remove them to actually see more of the websites they do use.

Beans

default gnome with some background, login screen and some compiz.
    Just hand me my pitchfork and torch.

Beans

When I first used Ubuntu, I was wow'd by the wobbly windows and compiz effects and its flexible configuration. I spent hours customizing it D;

Moving on.. As I learned more and more, I became a little more cli oriented and did less things with a GUI.

fast forward.. Reinstalled (because i became slightly OCD) Ubuntu when the new release came out (9.10).. guess what? I decided to do a mini install from the mini usb image (because I didn't want to download a whole CD and I didn't want to burn another CD) and set up a minimal system with pekwm.

Pekwm was so minimal, so fast, so highly configurable.. I became addicted. Also, it doesn't play well with compiz or with docks and whatnot that require compositing... so i dumped all that stuff behind, and now my systems are always minimalistic.

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast