Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Linux users and bad GUI's?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Linux users and bad GUI's?

I once had a desktop it was so minimal, it took me ages to get things done.
    I once had a desktop that had 720 video footage as a background, and a load of compiz effects.

Now I have a balance.

Beans
    Hidden!

Because some of us don't care how our GUI looks, only what it can do.

Beans

Sometimes I like to have super urber awesome effects on my desktop, be able to make my windows spin 360 degrees. Everything wobble, or explode, or do something really really really cool. And sometimes I like to goof around with the lighter weight gui's.

Typically I go with out of the box Ubuntu, It's simple, its not to heavy loaded, the effects are fine... Really does it make a difference?

Some people like Ketchup, and I think that stuff is DISGUSTING!, but I wouldn't run up to someone putting ketchup on a hamburger and vomit in their face, even though that's what it makes me want to do lol.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

The more towards the logical/technical end of the spectrum people get, the less people care about how things appear in the moment. They tend to think about what the thing is -- its function and long-term possibilities. This is why things like Linux usually have graphical items that look ugly to people with an artistic sense; the people who designed them are approaching "beauty" from a completely different direction.

Of course, this mirrors the frustration someone like me feels when he looks to buy something like a cell phone, house, pair of pants, Mac, or car which are often designed with aesthetic beauty as one of the primary concerns -- sometimes at the cost of unnecessary expense or even functionality.
    Last edited by Cuddles McKitten; August 26th, 2010 at 05:29 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by jfreak_ View Post
    yeah and in 2010 there are people like me having desktops with 256mb Ram. What do you suggest I do with it? Upgrading is not an option since SDRAMs are not kept in stock any more. Win7 requires at least 700mb ram, xp needs 250mb. But the so called tacky gui of openbox takes only 100mb of ram.

Beauty lies in eyes of the beholder.
    ...So why not just buy a new PC?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by Cam! View Post
    Having a good-looking interface won't mean your computer will slow down. This is 2010.
    No, it doesn't, but what's good looking and what isn't is a matter of opinion.

Personally I prefer modern-looking but minimalistic interfaces. And often find the screenshots filled with all kinds of docks, shiny themes and desktop clutter to be horrifyingly ugly. Perhaps even uglier than the win95/BeOS-style themes some people still prefer.

What comes to old computers, One of my computers is a nice setup with 256MB of RAM and it's easily able to run any normal app I throw at it. Partly because my minimal Openbox setup only takes 42MB to run and everything else is free for the apps to use. And it's only as ugly/pretty as my current wallpaper is, since there really isn't much anything else on the desktop.

Besides, keep in mind that this is an international forum (for a free OS) and not everybody even has the option of acquiring a modern setup.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Sysqi View Post
    Some people like Ketchup, and I think that stuff is DISGUSTING!, but I wouldn't run up to someone putting ketchup on a hamburger and vomit in their face, even though that's what it makes me want to do lol.
    Ketchup is frikkin awesome, what the h is the matter with you.

Mayonnaise, on the other hand...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I don't mind docks, they just seem like a major waste of space.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Cam! View Post
    ...So why not just buy a new PC?
    So he should go out and spend a few hundred quid on a PC just so you can be happy in the knowledge that he doesn't have a GUI that you don't like? Ridiculous. Some people (a lot of people in fact) are not currently in a financial position to buy a new PC, and have to make do with what they have. If he can fit everything he needs a PC for into 256MB RAM (which is quite possible if he uses a lightweight WM and doesn't need the PC for anything majorly resource-intensive) there's no reason to go out and buy a new one.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by TyrantWave View Post
    ould be.

The one thing I don't like is docks with giant icons. Seriously, it looks hideous.
    Yeah. Docks rule, but keep it in context... small(er) icons just look better...

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast