Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Linux users and bad GUI's?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Linux users and bad GUI's?

The original poster was wondering why many users seemed to prefer "old"-style interfaces over slicker, better-looking ones.

The general tone was "It's not 1995 any more--why not make a prettier desktop?"

To which the responses have been, generally, "I like mine as it is--why should I change?"

To be fair, we in the Ubuntu community generally confronted this back in 2006, when Mark "sabdfl" Shuttleworth posted his infamous ""Pretty is a feature" blog post.

If we want the world to embrace free software, we have to make it beautiful. I’m not talking about inner beauty, not elegance, not ideological purity… pure, unadulterated, raw, visceral, lustful, shallow, skin deep beauty.

We have to make it gorgeous. We have to make it easy on the eye. We have to make it take your friend’s breath away.
    Now, that's all right, and I don't necessarily disagree with the sentiment. Modern desktop Linux distributions ship with reasonably "pretty" desktops by default.

Nor do I necessarily disagree with guys who configure their desktops to look like the current trendsetter in desktop UI design, Apple.

But just like fashions in clothes, fashions in desktop GUI setup do not necessarily fit all people for all purposes. For instance, there is a trend, apparently, for men's suits to be cut to give a much slimmer profile than was recently the case. Many of my friends, when buying new suits, have opted for this new cut, and it suits them.

I haven't, because, well, I'm a lot fatter than they are. Trying to wear that fashion would be silly for me--not to mention impractical and uncomfortable.

Or, think about it another way: a set of mechanic's coveralls are pretty ugly, as far as clothes go. I certainly wouldn't go to the opera wearing them. But I wouldn't wear a tuxedo to change the oil in my car, either.

So it is with GUIs.

Beans
    Hidden!

Yes, I have an ugly, tacky desktop.
    Yes, I have bad taste.
    Yes, I'm poor.
    Yes, I'm a poser.

These are completely honest answers, btw.
    I revel in my tastelessness.
    Last edited by gutterslob; September 1st, 2010 at 10:05 PM.

I like modern and intuitive graphically pleasing GUIs..Why? Because I spent a thousand dollars building a gaming rig to handle the graphics, so I see no reason to skimp on the eye candy for a negligible performance boost. I am perfectly capable of using a mouse.

But linux is about choice. I like that we have the choice between desktop environments and GUIs.....I do think that the minimalist trend is more popular among the older generation of linux users and less popular among the newer generation of kids raised on windows XP or OSX, but it will always have a following.

Beans

My laptop is about 6yrs old and pretty slow if I use a fancy DM Like Gnome, KDE, XFCE etc. When I use Openbox or LXDE it feels very fast and it also feels less cluttered from a use interface perspective. Pretty is nice but I prefer functionality.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by gutterslob View Post
    Yes, I have an ugly, tacky desktop.
    Yes, I have bad taste.
    Yes, I'm poor.
    Yes, I'm a poser.

These are completely honest answers, btw.
    I revel in my tastelessness.
    We accept you.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213