Thread: FFMPEG Desktop + Audio + Webcam Screencasting

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

FFMPEG Desktop + Audio + Webcam Screencasting

Hi,

This is my first post so I hope I don't annoy anyone. Basically, I'm on the verge of having a single command that will enable me to record all three elements of a screencast -- desktop, audio, and webcam -- but it is falling at the final hurdle.

System:

• Ubuntu Lucid with updates
    • Dell Inspiron 1520
    • NVidia drivers
    • Onboard webcam
    • FFmpeg version SVN-r24872

I have two scripts that work independently, but I can't get them to work simultaneously. I have tried chaining the commands, but I get an error and I don't know how to solve it. I hope someone can give me some pointers.

Screencast: Desktop and Audio:/usr/bin/screencast:

# Record The Screencast
    ffmpeg -f alsa -ac 2 -i pulse -f x11grab -r 30 -s 1440x900 -i :0.0 -qscale 1 -acodec alac -vcodec libx264 -vpre lossless_ultrafast -threads 0 ~/Videos/output.m4v

# Move and Rename the Screencast
    mv ~/Videos/output.m4v ~/Videos/Screencasts/Screencast_on_$(date +%F_%A_at_%H:%M:%S).m4v

## Talking Cow (XCowsay 1.2 installed from source file)

xcowsay --cow-size=large --time=3 --monitor=0 "Your video has been recorded "

exit

On its own, this works absolutely wonderfully.

Webcam: /usr/bin/webcamscript

#!/bin/bash

## Record from webcam in 320x240 resolution
    ffmpeg -f oss -i /dev/dsp -f video4linux2 -s 320x240 -i /dev/video0 ~/Videos/recording.mpg

## Wait for video to be created
    # sleep 5

## Move file to ~/Videos/Screencasts
    mv ~/Videos/recording.mpg ~/Videos/Screencasts/Webcam_on_$(date +%F_%A_at_%H:%M:%S).mpg

On its own it works perfectly too.

PROBLEM: They do not work together!

I have tried the following command without success:

(gnome-terminal -e screencast &);(gnome-terminal -e webcamscript)

The thing is that it opens two gnome-terminals, as I need in order to stop recording when I'm done, and webcamscript works perfectly, but my screencast (ffmpeg x11grab and audio) gives me the following output:

FFmpeg version SVN-r24872, Copyright (c) 2000-2010 the FFmpeg developers
    built on Aug 23 2010 20:50:39 with gcc 4.4.3
    configuration: --enable-gpl --enable-version3 --enable-nonfree --enable-postproc --enable-pthreads --enable-libfaac --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libopencore-amrnb --enable-libopencore-amrwb --enable-libtheora --enable-libvorbis --enable-libvpx --enable-libx264 --enable-libxvid --enable-x11grab
    libavutil 50.24. 0 / 50.24. 0
    libavcore 0. 6. 0 / 0. 6. 0
    libavcodec 52.85. 1 / 52.85. 1
    libavformat 52.78. 3 / 52.78. 3
    libavdevice 52. 2. 1 / 52. 2. 1
    libavfilter 1.37. 0 / 1.37. 0
    libswscale 0.11. 0 / 0.11. 0
    libpostproc 51. 2. 0 / 51. 2. 0
    [alsa @ 0xa9c9470] capture with some ALSA plugins, especially dsnoop, may hang.

When I tried it initially, it actually did work. I must have done something differently since then, but I can't figure it out. Ideas, anyone?
    Last edited by clockworkpc; August 26th, 2010 at 03:35 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: FFMPEG Desktop + Audio + Webcam Screencasting

Interesting how different people approach things differently. It would never occur to me to try what you want to do. I would use Recordmydesktop to do the screen capture, then I would record video with Cheese, then I would use Cinelerra for video editing. Oh, I might do some video conversion using "video converter," a GUI front-end for ffmpeg.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by gordintoronto View Post
    Interesting how different people approach things differently. It would never occur to me to try what you want to do. I would use Recordmydesktop to do the screen capture, then I would record video with Cheese, then I would use Cinelerra for video editing. Oh, I might do some video conversion using "video converter," a GUI front-end for ffmpeg.
    Hi,

Thanks for your response, but there are a few key reasons for my attempt to run everything through the command line, using ffmpeg for everything, with a single command that runs effectively three simultaneous processes.

1. Running it from the command line uses fewer system resources.
    2. Running it from the command line enables me to assign a keyboard shortcut to the command.
    3. What I want is raw video that is automatically saved in a folder and date-and-time stamped in a format that can be uploaded to youtube without editing or conversion. (And if I'm running ffmpeg from the command line, why would introduce a few superfluous steps by using an ffmpeg front-end?)
    4. Recordmydesktop is buggy and slow and its output even at high quality is poor.
    5. Cheese is OK for images but it is absolutely useless for webcam video. It seems to be stuck on one frame per second and is completely unsuitable for webcasting.
    6. And finally, I want the output to be in two separate simultaneously recorded files that I can put together in Openshot, which is a great video editor that allows me to position the webcam's talking head as I see fit.

My goal is to show my Mac friends that whatever they can do with Camtasia:mac etc. I can do too, and the cumbersome method of using a collection of frankly second-rate GUI front-ends when we have an awesome tool in ffmpeg makes no sense.

• When I record the webcam with ffmpeg it works beautifully at a high frame rate;
    • When I record the desktop and audio with ffmpeg it works beautifully at a high frame rate;
    • If I try to do all of these together I run into problems.

If someone can help me to record all three streams simultaneously and output to two separate files -- (webcam+audio and x11grab) OR (x11grab+audio and webcam) -- from the command line with a single command, then I would be most grateful.
    Last edited by clockworkpc; August 31st, 2010 at 03:44 AM.

Beans
    Distro

I hope you can find an answer. The only thing you said above, which does not match my experience, is about Cheese. When I record video in Cheese, it's just fine, "full motion video." Perhaps it's because last year was "new computer" time, and I built a pretty fast system.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

OK, here is my script, which will undergo further refinement, but it works -- if anyone out there is interested...

############ The Clockwork PC Webcasting Script #################
    #
    # This script is the fruit of many hours of research into FFMPEG.
    #
    # You will need ffmpeg with x11grab, and a number of libraries that should be installed automatically.
    #
    # You will need a custom directory ~/Videos/Screencasts or change the output directory in the commands.
    #
    # You will also need to download and install the newest xcowsay from its homepage,
    # because the older xcowsay from the Ubuntu repositories (2010-08-31 at the time of writing) will not work with the --monitor option.
    #
    # The chained command creates THREE separate files:
    # x11grab for your desktop,
    # video4linux2 for your webcam,
    # alsa for your microphone or headset.
    #
    # This is very important to me because I use Openshot Video Editor, which cannot split audio and video yet, but can combine them very well.
    # If this is not important to you, there are many fine commands that combine audio and video streams into a single file, so you don't have to use mine.
    #
    # However, this chained command will record everything synchronously, including webcam and audio.
    #
    # Enjoy!
    #
    # Alexander,
    # linux@clockworkpc.com.au
    #
    #
    ################################################## ###############

# Working on saving all the files into date-stamped bins,
    # but for now they just pile up in Screencasts.

gnome-terminal -x ffmpeg -f x11grab -r 30 -s 1600x900 -i :0.0 -sameq -vcodec libx264 -vpre lossless_ultrafast -threads 0 ~/Videos/Screencasts/bin_today/Screencast_on_$(date +%F_%A_at_%H:%M:%S).m4v ;

gnome-terminal -x ffmpeg -f video4linux2 -s 240x150 -i /dev/video0 ~/Videos/Screencasts/bin_today/Webcam_on_$(date +%F_%A_at_%H:%M:%S).mpg ;

gnome-terminal -x ffmpeg -f alsa -ac 2 -i pulse -acodec pcm_s16le ~/Videos/Screencasts/bin_today/Audio_on_$(date +%F_%A_at_%H:%M:%S).wav

################################################## ##########
    #
    # Add a cute talking cow.
    #
    # (Haven't worked out how to stop it from popping up before # the videos have finished recording)
    #
    ## xcowsay --cow-size=large --time=3 --monitor=0 "Your video has been recorded "
    #
    ################################################## ##########

Beans
    Distro

Perhaps you could use the Thread Tools to mark the thread "Solved"?

Beans

I read your post and fell in love with it! I haven't used ffmpeg since last summer! I like many others interested in doing screen-cast did it the conventional way like a few other users have outlined in their post to this thread!

This is the version of ffmpeg that is installed on my liveUSB:

FFmpeg version SVN-r0.5.1-4:0.5.1-1ubuntu1.2

I do not plan on installing ffmpeg on my laptop hard drive so I am curious to see if your method that you say works will work for me! I will keep you posted in the future to let you know how things worked out for me!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu