Thread: DVD drive works but won't read DVDs or CDs

Beans

DVD drive works but won't read DVDs or CDs

So I looked around everywhere I could and found out that Ubuntu apparently doesn't know how to decrypt encrypted CSS dvds right off the bat. So I visited the support page and set up libdvdcss2, thinking that after installing this I'd be able to make this thing work. Of course not...before Totem would just refuse to acknowledge that any sort of disc was readable. Now it's telling me the resource can't be found. Any help? I know it's not the hardware. I'm running 9.10 Karmic.

Beans

Re: DVD drive works but won't read DVDs or CDs

Hey,

This drive me absolutely mad too. I can't complain about a free OS that looks pretty, runs fast, and NEVER crashes...BUT, you think they'd stick in a very basic DVD player that works from first upload.

This is a very simple piece of advice but it's the best you're gonna get - Linux users are a bit snotty when it comes to dealing with noobs.

Read the manual from start to finish. The section on DVDs etc told me exactly what to upload to get the various players working. The problem is assuming everything is plug-and-go.

The downside of Ubuntu wonderfulness is having to tweak everything.

Manual Manual Manual.

Just be grateful you're not in my current boat - trying to get a Wacom graphics tablet to work.

Hang in there - the thing gets better every day.

Best,

David.

Quote Originally Posted by Tourniquette View Post
    So I looked around everywhere I could and found out that Ubuntu apparently doesn't know how to decrypt encrypted CSS dvds right off the bat. So I visited the support page and set up libdvdcss2, thinking that after installing this I'd be able to make this thing work. Of course not...before Totem would just refuse to acknowledge that any sort of disc was readable. Now it's telling me the resource can't be found. Any help? I know it's not the hardware. I'm running 9.10 Karmic.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: DVD drive works but won't read DVDs or CDs

This is due to licensing issues, not Ubuntu's fault here or Linux's, if you want an all inclusive distro, try Ubuntu based MINT which comes with everything loaded.
    The finding of unity in variety is really what we call knowledge..... Vivekananda.