Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fan-less vs Fan Video Cards

Beans

Fan-less vs Fan Video Cards

So what is your opinion on fanless video cards? Is it really not worth it because of higher temps? Is it unthinkable to do any gaming with a fanless card?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Fan-less vs Fan Video Cards

Quote Originally Posted by ubuntuman001 View Post
    Is it unthinkable to do any gaming with a fanless card?
    Not at all, I always buy fanless cards. They're perfectly good. You might need to think about case ventilation a little more than you would otherwise, but that's not a bad thing to do anyway.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

What's the price deference ?
    Registered Linux user: 461,426
    Registered Ubuntu user: 20512

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Paqman View Post
    Not at all, I always buy fanless cards. They're perfectly good. You might need to think about case ventilation a little more than you would otherwise, but that's not a bad thing to do anyway.
    well I just have a gateway desktop with a standard case...what would you recommend for better ventilation?

Beans

I recently converted mine to fanless and love it. #1 advantage -QUIET. I had a banshee of a vid card fan, and I'm glad to let it go. I did add another 120mm fan to the side of my case though, but it's a real quiet fan.

Overall, it never really runs any cooler than the oe fan/heatsink did, but when ventilation is compromised, the temps will rise faster than the old setup did. Either way, it's still way cooler than the temp threshold (if I'm reading it right) that's stated in the nvidia setting manager, 50c on the low end, 64c the highest I've seen it.

BM

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by JT9161 View Post
    Pretty minimal, although you'll struggle to find many of the latest cards available fanless. If you look at cards a model or two down you should get plenty of options.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ubuntuman001 View Post
    well I just have a gateway desktop with a standard case...what would you recommend for better ventilation?
    If your case is adequately ventilated already then you should just be able to slap a fanless card in and not worry about it. It really depends on what card and what case though. In general, tidying up your cables and installing better case fans will help. The stock ones tend to be rubbish.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by JT9161 View Post
    there's not a difference in price usually from what ive seen

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

On Sovietic Russia VideoCard uses electric resistances to stay not frozen

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Passive cooling is a miracle on video cards. Those smaller fans that come on the active coolers are so LOUD to my ears. They make a higher pitch whine that just kills me. Other people's ears vary.. and tolerances lol. I would get a fanless any day, or slap on an aftermarket passive heatsink. Just make sure your case has good air flow. A cheap fix for air flow is to leave the case open. That's what I'm doing.
    Join me in my "No Thread Left Behind Act", the quest to leave no thread unanswered
    http://www.facebook.com/patrick.gunsolley
    Kubuntu 10.04 - Primary OS, Fedora 13 Rawhide Tester

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast