Thread: Which is better, 256 MB of non-ECC ram, or 1 GB of ECC RAM?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Question Which is better, 256 MB of non-ECC ram, or 1 GB of ECC RAM?

I was wondering which would be the better choice for me because currently I have only 256MB of my PC100 installed...
    also, please answer these if you can
    Exactly how much slower is ECC ram then normal?
    How much more processing does it need? I know about the extra byte, but in the long run will it really be a big performance issue?
    I have two memory slots; is it OK to have some non-ECC RAM in one slot and ECC RAM in the other?

Thanks for the support,
    - search
    AMD A4-3400 w/ Radeon HD 6410D, 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1333Mhz, Kubuntu 14.04, SliTaz 4.0, Windows 8.1, Ubuntu 14.04 VM
    " ... Love your neighbor as you love yourself."

Beans

Re: Which is better, 256 MB of non-ECC ram, or 1 GB of ECC RAM?

For all that I know, there is no real performance difference between ECC and non-ECC. Either way, errors are handled by the hardware and shouldn't cost extra cycles. (I might be wrong, however)

256 is just enough for something like xubuntu, if you want good performance, 1GB always beats 256MB. With 256MB you will be relying on the hard disk a lot (swap) and regardless of how slow the RAM is, it is always much faster than the HDD. Basically 256MB vs 1GB translates into HDD vs RAM and RAM always wins.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Unless you are trying to compute the distance travelled by an electron in a billionth of a nanosecond, I don't think you have to worry about any lag time with ECC RAM. And if there was a lag, then it would be offset by the performance gains you get from boosting your total RAM. Think of it as you are adding a jet engine to your car (this is a horrible example) and you are worrying about the hood ornament slowing you down.

What you do need to worry about is if your motherboard supports it. And you can't mix the two kinds. You also want to check with your motherboard manufacturer to see if it will support faster RAM. PC100 is considered pretty slow nowadays and you will get a good boost by moving to faster RAM, even if you stuck to 256MB.
    - Silverglade00

Beans
    Distro

Thanks.
    How do I find out if my mobo supports it? theres no model number on the case but the numbers on the mobo are 123668 fresno 010713.
    AMD A4-3400 w/ Radeon HD 6410D, 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1333Mhz, Kubuntu 14.04, SliTaz 4.0, Windows 8.1, Ubuntu 14.04 VM

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

go to ;
    http://www.4allmemory.com/index.cfm?...d=memory%20ram ,and enter your computer info ...

Beans
    Distro

Never mind, I got it. Thanks for the help!