The saga continues on my switch from Windows to Linux.

I had an absolutely delightful experience installing the entire LAMP stack (Apache Web server, MySQL database, PHP, and MyPHPAdmin) in about 5 minutes all at once, thanks to a great Ubuntu project I learned about on the Internet. Wow, what a fantastic project that is! Directions at: http://tuxtweaks.com/2010/04/install...04-lucid-lynx/

Now, however, I have a question. In order to have various Web pages available locally in my Web browser at localhost, I need to transfer a number of folders into Apache's var/www folder.

Here is my question: Because the var/www folder is in root space rather than my user space (I don't know if I am phrasing this correctly), I would have to move the files and folders in there as root. But then if I want to work on those files using, say, Bluefish or Netbeans, I would be working as user and presumably would be denied access.

What is the best solution to this issue? When I did this on my Starling netbook, I had a big problem with permissions, though I can't remember the details. I would like to do it properly this time. (I am using a desktop Wild Dog this time.)