Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Upgrade from 9.04 to 9.10 removed NBR

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Upgrade from 9.04 to 9.10 removed NBR

Remix is small, but it's not that small. Something went wrong with the download. I think you want to either get rid of or fix the broken version currently installed, rather than install again on top of it, and I'm not sure of the best way to do that. Trying the following is harmless, but may not work if the UNR install is very broken:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove ubuntu-netbook-remix
    Then try the installation again.

Added: you may want to select ubuntu-netbook-remix within synaptic. There shouldn't be a difference to using command line apt-get, but who knows. Then you don't have to worry about making typos, and maybe it'll be more careful about getting all dependencies. ??
    Last edited by quixote; August 30th, 2010 at 07:20 PM. Reason: clarification.

Beans

Well I would have to say the experience was the same as before, but this time I am posting the terminal in case you eye can see something that I am not seeing.

garet@Tatooine:~$ sudo apt-get remove ubuntu-netbook-remix
    [sudo] password for garet:
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
    binutils-static
    Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
    The following packages will be REMOVED:
    ubuntu-netbook-remix
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    After this operation, 61.4kB disk space will be freed.
    Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
    (Reading database ... 141261 files and directories currently installed.)
    Removing ubuntu-netbook-remix ...

garet@Tatooine:~$ sudo apt-get install ubuntu-netbook-remix
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
    binutils-static
    Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
    ubuntu-netbook-remix
    0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    Need to get 0B/32.2kB of archives.
    After this operation, 61.4kB of additional disk space will be used.
    Selecting previously deselected package ubuntu-netbook-remix.
    (Reading database ... 141259 files and directories currently installed.)
    Unpacking ubuntu-netbook-remix (from .../ubuntu-netbook-remix_1.171_i386.deb) ...
    Setting up ubuntu-netbook-remix (1.171) ...
    garet@Tatooine:~$

Beans
    Distro

It's not showing the full path to the ubuntu-netbook-remix_1.171_i386.deb it's using, so I can't go check what that really is, but when I searched on that file name, I find links to "meta" directories and, indeed, that file is all of 31.5K. Whatever that is, it's not the upgrade itself. I think it's probably the front end that's supposed to get the upgrade started, but for some reason it isn't doing its job.

I tried to find a direct link to a repository that looked like it might be useful, but all I find are directories that have the full Netbook Remix for installation, e.g. http://releases.ubuntu.com/10.04/ubu...tbook-i386.iso, and I doubt those will be useful for upgrading.

My guess about what's happening is that the default location that you reach with the "sudo apt-get install ubuntu-netbook-remix" command isn't working on your system. Possibly if we could find another location, or fix whatever is stopping your system from proceeding, it would work, but I don't know how to do that.

Just as a for instance: if the meta file is pointing to a torrent for upgrading, but torrents are firewalled on your system, it would fail right at the beginning. I don't think that's what's going on (it would say if it was a torrent), but it might be some weirdness along those lines. ??

Beans

Before I upgraded I was wondering if that upgrade button would actually upgrade me in line with the UNR version or if it would simply put 9.10 vanilla on my system. I am thinking that it did just that. But cautious as always, I backed up my documents before upgrading.

Should I try to autoremove the binutils-static? Or should I just upgrade to 10.04 and try this again?

Beans

Well I am not sure what broke, so I just chose to upgrade to 10.04 through the same "upgrade" button on the Update Manager. During the upgrade process it told me that ubuntu-netbook-remix was no longer supported and would have to be removed. I had nothing to lose so I went with it. After the upgrade was complete, my machine booted into 10.04 UNR.

Go figure!

Beans
    Distro

Man. Talk about a classic UI! Glad to hear you conquered!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12