/home/fernando/.Private
                          448G  319G  107G  75% /home/fernando
    Some help please!
    Keep it simple and it'll be fast

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: eCryptfs eating up double disk space

There doesn't appear to be any problem with that output. Your main drive is 75% full.

The other lines there you can ignore. They are just virtual system mounts. Your encrypted home shows up as /home/fernando/.Private - but you can just ignore that too, as it's just another "virtual" mount off your root /dev/sdb1 filesystem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

The real problem is that DUA says my home folder accounts for 378GB instead of 318GB. My home folder has two folders within it .ecryptfs accounting for 189GB and my user folder eating up 189GB, i'm quite lost...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

DUA = Disk Usage Analyzer?

It's wrong. There's a bug where it counts twice the encrypted home because it doesn't have the smarts to know it's a wrapped (virtual) filesystem. I don't know when / if they'll fix it but you can ignore that it says you're using double space.

df -h is correct.

DUA doesn't do that on my system and I've no idea why. I'm using 2.30.0 on Lucid.

Beans
    Distro

Yes I meant Disk Usage Analyzer. The command df -h was right, apparently I had a copy of my home folder in another place, after deleting it I freed 189GB... Although as you said DUA has a bug.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Definitely don't delete anything in .encryptfs/.private

I received the message saying it had like 200MB of space left and saw in the Disk usage analyzer that .encryptfs was the same size as my user folder.

I figured this was a serious issue if I was almost out of space and could not find any applications to turn it off.

Deleting the .encryptfs folder deleted all the data on the system as well.

If there is a bug in Disk Usage Analyzer, then it needs to be addressed soon. What it shows is extremely misleading.

From what I've seen from Google searching for a fix, Ubuntu put Disk Encryption out a little too soon for it's own good.
    They should have given us more outright knowledge about everything about it.

</two cents>
    Desktop: Intel Core 2 Duo E7400, 4GB DDR2, 160GB Raptor, 500GB SATA, Intel Graphics (cuz my nVidia card died!)
    Laptop: Toshiba M200, Pentium M 1.5Ghz, 2GB SDRAM, 120GB HDD, Nvidia 5200M 32MB

Beans

This is not reported twice for me, df is showing hd is full, but it's definitively NOT.

I tried moving the files to another folder outside of the encryption, but that just ate up space and now I am at 100%. As I am writing this, I am copying the files that I managed to get out of my *&^%$ encrypted home dir to an external usb drive, then I'll boot back into Ubuntu to try to get the rest out of my home dir.

The system worked fine until it hit about 2GB left, and no matter what I did, it seemed intent on filling up hard disk space. I also selected "encrypt home dir" during install.

Stephan

Beans

There does seem to be something questionable going on with eCryptfs at least for me.

Suffering these same sorts of issues, I know I recently freed up 40 Gig of space, and now I'm back to like 5 Gig, I know I'm not using up space THAT quickly. I'm used to functioning on 5 Gig or less, so where all this space has landed up I'm not quite sure.

My DUA shows my encrypted folder at being 200~ Gig, and my home folder at about 60 Gig...Of course there's still the bug where it adds both together and hence it thinks my partition is ~300 Gig out of ~260 Gig total or so (rough number estimates here). But the issue is I'm wondering, what, exactly, is hiding in that crypt directory, because everything else on the system is like 50-60 Gig for the OS etc.

Anyway I could find out? I guess if no-one replies here I'll look elsewhere.

Beans
    Distro

Hi,

I ran in to this problem with "double" disk space as well when I just now looked in to buying a solid state drive. But if I understand it correctly this shouldn't be a problem?

I still am a bit curious about the discrepancy in the disk usage and was wondering what it might be.
    Looking at lamadredelsapo output of df -h we get the usage:
    Code:
    Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/sdb1             448G  319G  107G  75% /
    none                  1.9G  260K  1.9G   1% /dev
    none                  1.9G  284K  1.9G   1% /dev/shm
    none                  1.9G   84K  1.9G   1% /var/run
    none                  1.9G     0  1.9G   0% /var/lock
    none                  1.9G     0  1.9G   0% /lib/init/rw
    /home/fernando/.Private
                          448G  319G  107G  75% /home/fernando
    But the numbers don't add up.
    448-319 /= 107
    whare are the other 22Gs?
    I get this same thing on my laptop. What am I missing?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by LordDelta View Post
    There does seem to be something questionable going on with eCryptfs at least for me.
    I am having a serious problem with ecryptfs too. When the fault occurs "df -h" says my SSD is near 100% full. After I reboot the computer twice the problem usually goes away. But it occasionally returns.

I think I might not use encryption next time I install ubuntu. Which is a shame.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast