Thread: wifi antenna not detected

Beans

wifi antenna not detected

Hey guys, I recently got a HP P6540FY desktop computer. I want to install 500GB of the 1TB partition, but when I try the live-cd, no networks show up under the network manager. I'm on Windows 7 now, so I can post any additional information if necessary. Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: wifi antenna not detected

I have a boatload of HPs (I work for them) and haven't had any problems with Lucid finding the networking, WiFi or cabled when upgrading.

There is a problem with a new Lucid install though. The problem is that due to an oversight, Lucid/10.04 does not have fakeroot on the install CD so in order to get the wifi going you will need to connect to a hard-wire network cable to get the files you need. Without fakeroot neither the proprietary driver or NDISWrapper will work.
    Last edited by Guilden_NL; August 24th, 2010 at 01:26 AM.
    The future will soon be a thing of the past.

Beans

Well that's extremely inconvenient. I'll just bring my modem up here for a few minutes before installing Linux, then.

To be clear, the name of the download i need to find is "fakeroot"?

--edit--

I'm on live-cd right now, brought my modem upstairs. I installed fakeroot, but I'm not sure where to go from here. I updated Ubuntu, and now in network manager, under Wireless Networks it says, "Device not ready." Any ideas?
    Last edited by adobrakic; August 24th, 2010 at 02:26 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

While you're connected to the internet through your wired connection, try going to System > Admistration > Hardware drivers and see if anything shows up there. Sometimes you have to restart before your driver will pop up.

Beans

I tried Hardware Drivers already, all that comes up is my graphics card. I figured I'd have to reboot, so I went ahead and began installing Linux on the second partition. I'll report back once it's installed and I'm off the live-cd, since it might work after installing and rebooting.

Beans

okay, i'm on ubuntu right now. the network still isnt showing up, and nothing under Hardware Drivers either.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

It won't show up under Hardware Drivers as it doesn't need proprietary drivers.

Let's go back to the beginning - you installed Ubuntu from the Live CD? You mentioned that you "updated it" - what do you mean? Which steps did you take? The latest versions of LiveCD apparently have fakeroot, but I can't vouch for that since I've upgraded all of my systems quite a while ago.

Try this while plugged into the network:
    1. sudo apt-get remove --purge bcmwl-modaliases
    2. sudo apt-get install bcmwl-modaliases broadcom-sta-common
    3. Reboot

Good lucK! Hopefully this will properly install the Broadcom driver and will get your WiFi going.
    The future will soon be a thing of the past.