Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the minimum server installation?

Beans

Question What's the minimum server installation?

I'd like to create the smallest-possible installation of Ubuntu 10.04 Server x64 as a VirtualBox OSE VM. I want to run just one service -- a Bitcoin client.

The standard installation is about 800 MB. By whatever approach, what's the smallest possible installation?

I find various procedures for removing unnecessary packages. However, I suspect that there's a simpler approach that I'm missing. By simpler, BTW, I don't mean compiling it myself. That's far above my current comfort level.

Thank you.

Beans

Re: What's the minimum server installation?

There's the net installer, but honestly you may want to go with Debian... IMHO it's much easier to start with a clean install and go bare-bones with that over Ubuntu Server...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

debootstrap with --variant=minbase
    Last edited by Bachstelze; August 23rd, 2010 at 10:03 PM.
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」

Beans

Depending on what components are needed. Ubuntu can make do with 128 MB of memory but more is preferred.

Disk cost is higher as updates need a lot of space to install etc. So a 8 GB disk is about as small as you want to go.
    SERVER: Azure datacenters, Hyper-V

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan View Post
    Depending on what components are needed. Ubuntu can make do with 128 MB of memory but more is preferred.

Disk cost is higher as updates need a lot of space to install etc. So a 8 GB disk is about as small as you want to go.
    I have Ubuntu running happily on 64 MB of RAM and a 2 GB CF card. A debootstrap minbase install of Lucid amd64 will take exactly 152 MB. Add 20-some for a kernel and GRUB, and you have a lot of available space on a 2 GB card.
    Last edited by Bachstelze; August 23rd, 2010 at 10:08 PM.
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」

Beans

I installed Ubuntu on a USB stick and it fits 2 GB but I suggest more as applications need some space.
    SERVER: Azure datacenters, Hyper-V

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan View Post
    I installed Ubuntu on a USB stick and it fits 2 GB but I suggest more as applications need some space.
    If you had read this thread, you would know that the OP only needs it to run one service. I think with a 152 MB base system, any service would fit on 2 GB.
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」

Beans

Thank you, all.

Memory isn't the critical issue, because I can tweak that in VirtualBox after installation.

It's disk size that's my concern, because I want to distribute these VMs as preloaded Bitcoin "debit cards".

I'm already using a 1 GB virtual disk. The documentation says 400 MB, but I couldn't complete the installation with that. I was hoping for more like 200 MB

@ Bachstelze

I will explore what "debootstrap with --variant=minbase" means.

@arrrghhh

Yes, perhaps Debian. I've tried ttylinux, and it's missing a package that's not available for it, and the idea of creating packages is totally intimidating at this point.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ichi2 View Post
    @ Bachstelze

I will explore what "debootstrap with --variant=minbase" means.
    Basically, mount your to-be root partition somewhere (since you're running that on VirtualBox, just boot a Live CD and mount the partition), and do

Code:
    sudo debootstrap --variant=minbase lucid /mnt/root http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu
    Be warned, though, you'll have a bit of manual configuration to do (basically, everything the installer normally does for you, you will have to do it manually). And you will also need to install a kernel and boot loader.
    Last edited by Bachstelze; August 24th, 2010 at 12:07 AM.
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」

Beans

Thank you, Bachstelze.

My current attempt has 50 MB boot, 20 MB swap and 930 MB root. What could I cut root to with "minbase"?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast