Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hoary Extra: NX Client

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hoary Extra: NX Client

Synopsis
    NoMachine NX is the next-generation X compression and roundtrip suppression scheme. It can operate remote X11 sessions over 56k modem dialup links or anything better.

This is the client for FreeNX.

Backporting Process
    Source kame from Kanotix.

Packaging Status:
    i386 -- Staging at revision 35
    amd64 -- Not packaged
    ppc -- Not packaged

Beta tester notes:
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxradar
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Beans

Re: Hoary Extra: NX Client

Quote Originally Posted by jdong
    Synopsis
    NoMachine NX is the next-generation X compression and roundtrip suppression scheme. It can operate remote X11 sessions over 56k modem dialup links or anything better.

This is the client for FreeNX.

Backporting Process
    Source kame from Kanotix.

Packaging Status:
    i386 -- Staging at revision 35
    amd64 -- Not packaged
    ppc -- Not packaged

Beta tester notes:
    Sure would love this for amd64. I know nothing about building packages. Would this be a good place to start?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Unfortunately, FreeNX has been known not to compile under AMD64. I do not have the time to invest in getting that to work -- it's been ongoing in Gentoo, unsure what the current resolution is.
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Beans

freenx server doesn't work on hoary for me. I tried setting it up with the nomachine key, and it still refuses to allow me to login.
    --dare2dreamer

Beans

Ok, a little further hacking and I got it working. Seems that it didn't properly set up the /home/.nx directory or the nomachine key by default. I created the directory, ran nxsetup as root and then it started up. To get my user able to log in, I had to manually set the password with nxserver though.

As I recall, I did not have these issues with the kalyxo.org freenx builds.
    --dare2dreamer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I need to investigate on these backports, including the FreeNX server for Hoary.

It seems like some R-Deps were updated by Canonical since the package was compiled.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

I installed the nxserver this mornong (05/04/2005), it installed fine, but gave me a message about "authentication" or something.

After using it for a whille , it seems that the warty version is more stable then the hoary version
    *k3b and the servers just cuts the connection.
    *same with mplayer (not even opening a movie, just changing the preferences).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Could someone give me instructions on the right way to install freenx? (server) I noticed another thread, but it seemed geared toward warty and i really dont want to screw up my distro.

Any help for setting this up on hoary 5.04 would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    BT

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

As I said a few posts up, recompiling Hoary NX is on my todo list... Many things have changed in Hoary since I initially packaged this.

Kalyxo's site (which contains NX Debian sources) is pretty quirky recently, so it may be a while before I can get this packaged (read: next week )

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

https://sourceforge.net/pm/task.php?...oject_id=42440

I've assigned a task to rebuild NX. However, it'll be a while (due to Kalyxo being down) before it can be actually built.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast