Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Icons to Close, Minimize, Maximize missing!

Beans

Icons to Close, Minimize, Maximize missing!

Hi all.

I'm not sure how I did this but the icons to close, minimize, and maximize in windows no longer load by default.

The only way I have found how to get these back is to go into System>Appearance>Visual Effects and choosing one of the effects. These changes do not stick as whenever I reboot I am back to where I started.

I have searched high and low but can't seem to find how to correct this behavior.

Any help is appreciated.

Running Ubunto 10.4 LTS.

Beans

Re: Icons to Close, Minimize, Maximize missing!

Not sure what you have done. But a change of theme should bring back the icons. Right click on the desktop nad select Change Desktop Background. In the resulting Window, select the Theme Tab and select a Different theme. This should bring back all icons, albeit in a different theme. You can then change the theme to something you prefer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

if all is screwed up, you could try to type
    Code:
    metacity --replace
    to see if that will fix the problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by venturax View Post
    if all is screwed up, you could try to type
    Code:
    metacity --replace
    to see if that will fix the problem.
    Yep, if you're using desktop effects you could also try:
    Code:
    compiz --replace
    If the problem persists then you might want to temporarily switch on Apport by entering this in a terminal:
    Code:
    sudo service apport start force_start=1
    The when your window decorations crash again Apport will automatically report a bug for you. If the problem is a known one the existing bug report might have a workaround for you.

Beans
    Distro

After I updated til 10.04, I lost all window borders, which was a strange phenomenon, but the fix I mentioned, did the trick. The problem reappeared after reboot / re-login.

The only workaround was to add the metacity --replace to startup applications to prevent the issue to re-appear. Strange why it happened in the first place
    Last edited by venturax; August 24th, 2010 at 08:30 AM. Reason: typo, unclear text

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by venturax View Post
    After I updated til 10.04, I lost all window borders, which was a strange phenomenon, but the fix I mentioned, did the trick. The problem reappeared after reboot / re-login.

The only workaround was to add the metacity --replace to startup applications to prevent the issue to re-appear. Strange why it happened in the first place

Strange. Now that you mention it, this happened shortly after upgrading to 10.04 as well which was not too long ago. Thanks for the fix. I also had to had the command to my startup applications as it would also lost the setting upon reboot. Adding it solved this.

Any idea what is causing this?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

No idea from me.

But you may want to install Ubuntu Tweak to change the settings around. I moved my buttons to the right using Tweak.

http://ubuntu-tweak.com
    The future will soon be a thing of the past.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

What about gtk-window-decorator --replace?

You could also try using emerald instead of gtk-window-decorator. I find the Glassbuntu theme for emerald very nice and well done and it works great with compiz and a dark colored Ubuntu theme.
    Intel core i5-2400, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti

Beans

whenever I have window borders dissappear, which has happened, I use compiz-fusion icon (which can be installed with sudo apt-get install fusion-icon) which I have added to the startup menu. To get the borders back, right-click on it's icon and select reload window manager.

Beans
    Distro

One problem persists though, as mentioned. It seems that all changes to themes, effects etc are "forgotten" after reboot of the machine, which leads me to think of a permission problem. I tried delete the .gnome, but it didn't fix the issue

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast