Thread: Laptop recommendations

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Laptop recommendations

Hey, im aware that there are lists upon lists that have been typed up for laptops that will work when powered by ubuntu..

Im on the look out for a new laptop i currently have an E-system 3102 laptop which ive had for years running vista(SLOWWW) then plucked up the courage to wipe the horrible existing OS and run Ubuntu, best upgrade you can do to an old laptop IMO..

however i would just like to see a few personal recommendations from you Ubuntu users on which laptop brand/model you think is best.. I have roughly £400 to splash out just to give you an idea

Thanks in advance

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Laptop recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by WiReIs View Post
    Hey, im aware that there are lists upon lists that have been typed up for laptops that will work when powered by ubuntu..

Im on the look out for a new laptop i currently have an E-system 3102 laptop which ive had for years running vista(SLOWWW) then plucked up the courage to wipe the horrible existing OS and run Ubuntu, best upgrade you can do to an old laptop IMO..

however i would just like to see a few personal recommendations from you Ubuntu users on which laptop brand/model you think is best.. I have roughly £400 to splash out just to give you an idea

Thanks in advance
    These guys pre-load linux and most of them are shipped worldwide:
    http://linuxpreloaded.com/

Otherwise I bought my current laptop from:
    http://www.pioneercomputers.com.au

Obviously the exchange rate will favour you, though you'd have to pay for shipping (and you'll get a $ sign on your key instead of a pound sign). But the Dreambook W76 i5 is the one I got, and I've had no problems with it.

Beans
    Hidden!

As opposed to looking for "brands" I would suggest you look at the specs. You could choose Acer for example, and then find that different models have different hardware and maybe problematic drivers.

In general, if you go for a Laptop with Nvidia or Ati graphics cards, and then Atheros or Broadcom wireless, you will pretty much be in luck.

Myself, friends and work colleagues follow this rule for the main hardware and have found that Ubuntu/Debian installs and runs on all of them.
    Of course these are run of the mill laptops which cost between €400-€800 with no fancy hardware. The brand isn't important, we have Acer, Asus, Lenovo, eMachines.

Beans

Check this recent posting out:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1547489