Thread: Anyone have experience with mdadm?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Anyone have experience with mdadm?

I am going to build a fileserver, and want to use mdadm for a SoftRAID5 of for sata drives. Last time I tried mdadm it was glitchy but I don't know if that was because the drives were seagate drives. Anyone have more recent experience with mdadm? I don't wasn't to copy data to it and then lose said data.

I figured this went under experience and testimonials, but let me know if I'm wrong.
    "Look, maybe I didn't say every single little tiny syllable, no. But basically I said them, yeah." - Ash J Williams

That works as well as not following every step in a tutorial or walkthrough.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Re: Anyone have experience with mdadm?

I moved this General help as it's more of support thread than a testimonial or experience.

OS: Kubuntu 12.04 LTS|| CPU: AMD Athlon 64x2 || RAM: 3GB DDR2(PC-6400) || Display: NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT 1024mb

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Bump
    "Look, maybe I didn't say every single little tiny syllable, no. But basically I said them, yeah." - Ash J Williams

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

We only have one server running software RAID5, and that's using mdadm. I'd really have preferred a hardware card (like the rest of the servers), because it's a lot more hassle.

As for stability, I've had no problems.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

What if I have to reinstall ubuntu, can the mdadm array be recovered on a fresh install easily?