Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: High CPU usage, nothing running.

Beans

Re: High CPU usage, nothing running.

Xorg is what gives us a graphical display, something different than the kernel itself. Xorg talks to the kernel (linux itself is just the kernel, strictly speaking), and the kernel gives Xorg the resources it needs.

flash animations will always be CPU intensive. unfortunately.
    Semper Fi

My Non-Ubuntu Blog.
    All posts by me are Public Domain.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Thanks for that.
    Have had my home pages set since I first installed ubuntu so am still unsure why this is happening now.

Just tried chromium and sett same pages and cpu usage is down.

Something is going on with firefox.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I'm seeing something similar when viewing flash videos. I think it was Carlee that observed Flash in Linux sucks. It looks like that to me. My desktop is a single AMD athlon 2600+ and it'll run 95%+ CPU usage continuously when streaming flash videos from some sites but not all. Close Firefox and after a few seconds CPU drops to maybe 7%. Chromium seems to be a little better.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jotto! View Post
    good, now we have the problem isolated.

it could have been an addon update.

want to try disabling them all and compare CPU usage?

if that's it, then we can narrow down which addon it is by disabling/enabling them a few at a time and observing results.
    Semper Fi

My Non-Ubuntu Blog.
    All posts by me are Public Domain.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by earthpigg View Post
    good, now we have the problem isolated.

it could have been an addon update.

want to try disabling them all and compare CPU usage?

if that's it, then we can narrow down which addon it is by disabling/enabling them a few at a time and observing results.
    Disabled all add ons, firefox running at about 20-25%. plugin container nowhere to be seen.
    Strangely, enabling them all again has had little difference.

2.03am here..time to get some shut eye. Will start working on it again in a few hours! Thanks for all the replies so far, appreciate it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Just tried chromium and sett same pages and cpu usage is down.

Probably not Firefox. Chrome comes with a bundled flash version and does not use the one from your system. So probably you have a bad plugin installed that is being used by Firefox.

Install and run FLASH-AID to make sure you have the proper flash plugin installed.

When I check the running processes, I see sytem monitor at about 25% Firefox-bin similar and plugin-container also about 25-30%.

Has a recent update caused any issues with firefox or is something weird just going on with my system?
    TIA.
    Since Firefox 3.6.4, the flash runs isolated inside a process called plugin-container. This is done to avoid crashing the browser if the plugin crashes.

To reduce CPU usage, install Flashblock and only allow pages were you need to view flash content.

Ablock Plus might help as well.

Just restarted firefox and i have several pages set as my homepage as it were. Some have animations and flash on them. firefox-bin and plugin- container are both around 20-25% each.
    Use BarTab extension. It prevents pages from being loaded until they are needed. So when you start your browser with several pages set as home-page, they don't suck your CPU and memory.

To improve flash performance see Flash Optimization.
    Last edited by lovinglinux; August 22nd, 2010 at 02:25 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by lovinglinux View Post
    Probably not Firefox. Chrome comes with a bundled flash version and does not use the one from your system. So probably you have a bad plugin installed that is being used by Firefox.

Install and run FLASH-AID to make sure you have the proper flash plugin installed.

Since Firefox 3.6.4, the flash runs isolated inside a process called plugin-container. This is done to avoid crashing the browser if the plugin crashes.

To reduce CPU usage, install Flashblock and only allow pages were you need to view flash content.

Ablock Plus might help as well.

Use BarTab extension. It prevents pages from being loaded until they are needed. So when you start your browser with several pages set as home-page, they don't suck your CPU and memory.

To improve flash performance see Flash Optimization.

Thanks for that, will check out the links and install some of the items you mentioned.
    It is indeed a flash problem.
    Has adobe recently updated their product? I know on windows my son had a new version installed recently. This would possibly be around the same sort of time that I noticed this system running slow or is it just a coincidence?
    As I said before, system was fine as it was and watching flash videos etc all seemed to be OK. Now, it just seems to hog the CPU.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Talking Re: High CPU usage, nothing running.

When you're done with this, you will say that your cpu usage is just 3-4%. I just removed gnome system monitor and replaced it with htop... My friends here are challenging me to put my drive to maximum use. That would be a challenge... And your htop will respond with just around 50%...
    Anyway, thank you guys for providing this support...
    Linux to the Core.
    Booting on Ubuntu 10.04

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12