Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Samsung Captivate (samsung galaxy s) mounting issues

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Samsung Captivate (samsung galaxy s) mounting issues

I bought this nifty android phone last week. On .xda developers forum the official solution to connecting to this phone is to use virtualbox and install windows and a program called "kies" I don't think there's many linux users over there.

I've done this and found a random xp torrent which installs nicely. Unsure about the security aspect but will disable Internet access. Still working on getting it to sync under Windows. Makes me sick to even try to use it...

Regardless, under the 4 different syncing functions available on the phone I can only get my pics off of the Media player syncing option with F-spot (just like my iPhone). So that's good.

So- other than this^^^ while ubuntu sees my phone I can't mount it to look at the file system or transfer files.

Help? Ideas? Some sort of SSH issue?

Thanks.
    Grasshoppah -snatch the pebberl from my hand... aah... beginah ruck.

Beans

Re: Samsung Captivate (samsung galaxy s) mounting issues

any ideas on this one guys?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

I just picked up this phone recently as well. I think if you want to view the raw files on the device, you have to enable USB Debugging Mode (Settings > Applications > Development > USB Debugging). When I did this, I see new devices in Nautilus when I click on "Computer", but I can't seem to actually open those new drives up. Let me know how it goes for you.

Beans

Having the same frustrating issues here.

A solution would be AWESOME.

Beans

the same thing happens on my galaxy s (vibrant edition)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Go to settings> applications> USB Settings> select "mass storage" or as I do it select "ask on connection" then I can choose what I want to do with it when I plug it in. When you plug in your USB go to your notification bar at the top where you see the USB symbol and press and hold then pull down the notification bar or main menu> notifications, you should see a notification saying "USB Connected" select it and it will give you the option to mount your phone.

Thats it it'll show up in nautilus and you can drag and drop files just like a thumb drive.

Samsung offers Windows drivers that might make it automatically mount in Windows thus no complaints from that community about it.
    Last edited by Flyboy712; September 3rd, 2010 at 05:46 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Flyboy712 View Post
    Go to settings> applications> ... When you plug in your USB go to your notification bar at the top where you see the USB symbol and press and hold then pull down the notification bar or main menu> notifications, you should see a notification saying "USB Connected" select it and it will give you the option to mount your phone. ...
    Thanks, your solution works.

Beans

That does not work for me

I'm working around it by installing swiftp server on the phone and just connecting to it over wifi / ftp

Beans

Ha ha this is really weird. For all of those who have followed the steps in this thread, it has worked for one of my captivate phones but not the other. So as a last ditch option, make sure that you have a micro sd card in the phone. Then put the phone in usb debugging, and mount. voila, it will now work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I was having similar issues mounting the internal SD card for my Sony Captivate i897.

(FYI, I'm running Ubuntu Lucid Lynx)

Plug in the Phone using the USB cable.
    When promped, select "Mass Storage" on the phone.
    In the status bar there should be a notification that USB Storage was activated. Tap it and it'll pop up a message asking if you want to mount the SD card. Click "Mount" and the SD card appears on the left panel in the file manager in Ubuntu.

You can them mount it and transfer files as needed.

Hope that helps!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast