Thread: [R, G, B, R, G, B ...] -> [B, G, R, B, G, R ...]: most effcient way in C?

Beans

[R, G, B, R, G, B ...] -> [B, G, R, B, G, R ...]: most effcient way in C?

More specifically:

PHP Code:
    void rgb_to_bgr(charimagesize_bytes){

// image = [R, G, B, R, G, B ...]
        // use the most efficient method to change it into:
        // [B, G, R, B, G, R ...]

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: [R, G, B, R, G, B ...] -> [B, G, R, B, G, R ...]: most effcient way in C?

Well, let's see... the 'G' character never changes position, so therefore it looks like you merely need to change the 'R's and the 'B's.

Maybe something like:
    Code:
    void rgb_to_bgr(char* image, unsigned int size_bytes)
    {
       for (register unsigned int i = 0; i < size_bytes; i += 3)
       {
          image[i]     = 'B';
          image[i + 2] = 'R';
       }
    }
    P.S. If the string actually has different values that are not specifically 'R', 'G', and 'B', then use temporary variable to hold the value.
    Code:
    void rgb_to_bgr(char* image, unsigned int size_bytes)
    {
       char tmp;

for (register unsigned int i = 0; i < size_bytes; i += 3)
       {
          tmp          = image[i];
          image[i]     = image[i + 2];
          image[i + 2] = tmp;
       }
    }
    Last edited by dwhitney67; August 21st, 2010 at 12:42 AM.

Beans

Using pointers would eliminate some of the array indexing, though most modern compilers would equivalently optimize dwhitney's source resulting in machine code that is just as fast.

Code:
    void rgb_to_bgr(char* image, unsigned int size_bytes) {
      register char tmp;
      char *endp = &image[size_bytes];

for (char *p=image; p < endp; p += 3) {
        tmp = *p;
        *p = p[2];
        p[2] = tmp;
        }
     }
    "We visited sixty-six islands and landed eighty-one times, wading, swimming (to shore). Most of the people were friendly and delightful; only two arrows shot at us, and only one went near -- So much for savages!" - J.C. Patterson

Beans

Yea, iterating over the array, in segments of 3, and changing R to B and B to R was my initial approach.

I was just thinking: "Maybe there is some neat pointer/bit shift mojo to doing it really, really quickly".

I guess the obvious approach is the most efficient in this case.

Thanks guys.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Senesence View Post
    Yea, iterating over the array, in segments of 3, and changing R to B and B to R was my initial approach.

I was just thinking: "Maybe there is some neat pointer/bit shift mojo to doing it really, really quickly".

Thanks guys.
    The slowest thing is probably the memory access, not the actual swap operation. There are ways to optimize cache usage: http://lwn.net/Articles/255364/. But as always, profile to make sure optimization is even worthwhile.
    Last edited by jpkotta; August 22nd, 2010 at 02:08 AM.
    Help yourself: Search the community docs or try other resources.
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Spencer
    Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly.
    Let science use your computer when you aren't: Folding@Home.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

There is a bit magic way of swapping values ( avoiding the use of a temporary variable ), but with modern compilers its probably best to let them decide ( based on arch / compile options ) :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xor_swap_algorithm
    Last edited by Devport; August 21st, 2010 at 06:39 PM.

Beans

Efficiency is somewhat relative. Code can be "efficient" with regard to execution speed, code size, memory usage, platform portability, and/or maintainability. That the solution be provided in C places a high priority on the last two criteria, yet this limits the available options for increasing efficiency with regard to speed, size, or memory.

Also, keep in mind that the suggested "brute force" approach is not as inefficient (with regard to speed) as it might seem at first blush. While the code suggests that the data is fetched from memory a byte at a time, and temporarily stored and retrieve from a memory variable (tmp), most compilers would catch that a processor register can be used for the 'tmp' variable; and on many microprocessors the memory data will be cached on-chip in relatively large blocks that are read from or written to RAM using fast paging (where entire "rows" of memory will be accessed in bursts). In addition, processor pipelining would permit some of the data accesses and arithmetic to be performed simultaneously.

As a final comment, if you were to consider coding in processor-specific assembly language then you might be able to optimize things better with regard to speed, but to do so you would most likely need to do some degree of loop unwinding. This will necessitate some pre-conditions on your image dimensions; for example, that the number of pixels must be a multiple of 12.
    "We visited sixty-six islands and landed eighty-one times, wading, swimming (to shore). Most of the people were friendly and delightful; only two arrows shot at us, and only one went near -- So much for savages!" - J.C. Patterson