View Poll Results: Do you think ubuntu is ready to replace Windows for the AVERAGE user?

Voters
279. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

163 58.42%
  • Nope. Atleast not now.

116 41.58%
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: Do you think ubuntu is ready to replace Windows for the average user?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Do you think ubuntu is ready to replace Windows for the average user?

What is an "Averrage User"? Someone who checks their email pays bills, go on social media? Then yes Ubuntu is fine. (Asking them to setup their Ubuntu computer might be a problem)

Plays games, works from home or school, Media/Art Photography (Adobe-Photoshop People). No!
    Rob
    Ubuntu-One Cloud Storage, Sync files between your comuters Back-up & Share files. Sign Up!

Beans

I use Ubuntu everyday for school work. Libre Office has been great and its been pretty compatible with every device I have connected. Ubuntu is stable and I have yet to have a crash. I have had the occasional hang-up where a program crashes for a second but always recovers. Its been a great OS.

Beans

Zombie threads are alive once again! Nice to see two year old threads spring back to life... =D>
    ( o< -Computers do not have problems, they have users. ~Cope57
    / /\
    V_/_

Beans

i love these endless arguments!!

ok, here's the deal: Win8 is a MESS!! read the write-up!!
    http://arstechnica.com/information-t...ced-user-rage/

the Glitterati are at it again!! make it look different and mark it "new and improved". just base marketing and as ArsTech points out it's going to * off the customers -- like more so that the stupid "ribbon" menus

all this is going to do is fuel the March to the CounterCulture!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by mike acker View Post
    ok, here's the deal: Win8 is a MESS!!
    It actually doesn't matter how much of a mess Windows 8 is, frankly. If companies, schools, or non-profits use Windows, they will probably continue to use Windows. If they hate Windows 8, they'll just stick with Windows Vista or 7 until Windows 9 comes out. That's what happened with Vista. Lots of places just stuck with XP as long as they could and then upgraded to Windows 7 later.

If you have an infrastructure in place built around Microsoft (Windows desktops and laptops, Microsoft Exchange and Active Directory, Microsoft Office documents with macros, OneNote documents, etc.), it's a real pain to migrate over to a new platform, regardless of how "ready" or "user-friendly" it may appear to be.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by mike acker View Post
    i love these endless arguments!!

ok, here's the deal: Win8 is a MESS!! read the write-up!!
    http://arstechnica.com/information-t...ced-user-rage/

the Glitterati are at it again!! make it look different and mark it "new and improved". just base marketing and as ArsTech points out it's going to * off the customers -- like more so that the stupid "ribbon" menus

all this is going to do is fuel the March to the CounterCulture!!
    Like aysiu said, companies, schools, etc. will probably continue to use Windows (7?). My office still has over half of use on Windows XP and probably won't be all upgraded for another 2 years! (this sucks because I have to be able to support everybody so I get the "lowest common denominator").

When Windows 8 comes out it is going to be picked up by early adopters and developers. While it may be painful, not too much more than when Unity or Gnome-shell (or KDE 4) first came out except on a much larger scale since they have the larger market share (5% of Linux users is a LOT less than 5% of Windows users!)

By the time Windows 9 comes out, there will be fixes, tweaks and adjustments based on the real-world use feedback. There will be (even) more blogs, articles and books on the new interface and people will be slightly more used to seeing it (and thus ever-so-slightly more comfortable because it won't be as "strange").

In all honestly, I don't think Microsoft is expecting or even really want a MASSIVE adoption as it would be too much for them to support and tweak all-at-once.

Oh, and I like the Ribbon interface. Much better than a ton of tiny icon/boxes to sort through.
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

It depends on what the "average user" uses her computer for. My friend got all the way through an Associate degree at the community college without Windows. So far I do everything in Xubuntu that I did in Windows XP. And Mom even uses Xubuntu to play her online role-play game, Final Fantasy through PlayOnLinux.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    {snip} it's a real pain to migrate over to a new platform, regardless of how "ready" or "user-friendly" it may appear to be.
    ...that would be true,-- and is of course the reason why close to half of installed windows PCs are still running XP,-- even though they may as well raise the white flag:

tee hee, Win7 is better, but still getting hacked. mostly I think because people generally don't know how to authenticate updates before accepting them.
    ~~

I continue to identify Linux programs to replace my "Old Windows Shoes". I'm trying our KRUSADER now as a replacement for XPLORER2 and evidently we have CLIP managers too

TURBOTAX : I should be able to just use the online version instead of downloading/installing it . I noticed last year the IRS had set up a PIN number ID system for identifying the proper filer... hackers were having fun submitting bogus returns and absconding with the refunds...
    Last edited by mike acker; October 13th, 2012 at 04:18 PM. Reason: amendment

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718