Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu Install - Completely New

Beans

Ubuntu Install - Completely New

Hello, I'm having some trouble installing Ubuntu 10.04. I am completely new to Ubuntu, and Linux for that matter so if you do take the time to help me please understand my lack of knowledge. I'm also not very adept with computers in general so please try to explain things as simply as possible.

What I am trying to do is completely wipe all things on my computer and install Ubuntu. I have followed the instructions from Ubuntu's homepage on how to download the ISO, and ran their program to put it onto a portable USB device. Through doing all of this, I receive no error messages. Then it tells me to change the BIOS to boot from USB, so I did that. I've successfully accessed the install menu and filled in all the information requested (i.e. computer name, account name, etc.). I select that I want to delete the current partitions and use only Ubuntu. It starts to install, but at 67%, while copying files, I receive an error.

This error is:
    The installer encountered an error copying files to the hard disk:

[Errno 5] Input/output error

This is often due to a faulty CD/DVD disk or drive, or a faulty hard disk. It may help to clean the CD/DVD, to burn the CD/DVD at a lower speed, to clean the CD/DVD drive lens (cleaning kits are often available from electronics suppliers), to check whether the hard disk is old and in need of replacement, or to move the system to a cooler environment
    I've tried to fix it, but truly have no clue where to begin, perhaps someone can give me some insight.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Ubuntu Install - Completely New

I haven't done a usb install but it sounds possible that you may have suffered a bad write to your usb device. Can you burn the iso file to a disc and try that?
    MacBook Pro 10,1 retina

Beans

Unfortunately, it has to be USB install. :/
    Last edited by lostkid; August 20th, 2010 at 04:46 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Can you check the md5 checksum of the downloaded file? Make sure it's what it should be. That would rule out a bad download. If that's ok you could try to burn it to usb again.
    MacBook Pro 10,1 retina

Beans

Ahh, I've wiped my hard drive of my previous OS so I'll have to redownload on a seperate computer. Give me a few minutes. How do you check the md5 checksum? I'm not sure what that is.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Here's a guide to checking the MD5 checksum.

If that doesn't show any problems, it sounds like something might be wrong with your HDD. Is this a new computer?

Beans

Relatively new... I haven't had any indications that there are any issues with the HDD. Any way I can check that?

The ISO I had did not match. Attempting to download again... :/ Maybe that was the issue.
    Last edited by lostkid; August 20th, 2010 at 05:25 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

There is usually a md5 checksum shown on the website you download an iso file from. It is a multi-character string (loads of them).
    There is a md5 checker for windows - I think it's called md5 or md5 check. It's a very small program and it runs very quickly. Running it is quite straightforward. It would have to be - I managed it!
    MacBook Pro 10,1 retina

Beans

After trying to redownload the ISO I realize that I am downloading "10.04.1", the name does not even match. I have gotten the same md5 both times I download this file but there is nothing to compare it to as the most current on the hash list is "10.04". Why is mine 10.04.1? I downloaded it directly from the Ubuntu website...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

10.04.1 only came out the other day. If you've downloaded it give it a try.
    MacBook Pro 10,1 retina

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast