Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just wondering, do you use any devices on Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Just wondering, do you use any devices on Ubuntu?

Just a topic I thought of after thinking about my old digital audio player. Anyway, I have an old Coby digital audio player I got in 2007. Surprisingly it still works, and even though the manual states Windows and Mac, it works great with Ubuntu. Just loads up as a flash drive, and I drag and drop music to it. Plus adding an is_audio_player file adds Rhythmbox support for playing music. 8)

So does anyone here use any of their devices on Ubuntu or any other Linux distros? I'm curious to see what other devices are compatible with Linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Just wondering, do you use any devices on Ubuntu?

Barnes and Noble's nook works with Linux (Official support!) because it just mounts as an external drive. Plus, calibre supports the nook (along with a ton of other eBook readers). And the Motorola Backflip (an Android phone, so I would assume OTHER Android phones work, too) works in much the same way. And my Zune technically mounts, but I don't think I've been able to play music, and I've never thought of trying to copy music over. (By devices, I'm also going to assume you meant things like audio players and readers, not mice and keyboards)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by tjktyler View Post
    Barnes and Noble's nook works with Linux (Official support!) because it just mounts as an external drive. Plus, calibre supports the nook (along with a ton of other eBook readers). And the Motorola Backflip (an Android phone, so I would assume OTHER Android phones work, too) works in much the same way. And my Zune technically mounts, but I don't think I've been able to play music, and I've never thought of trying to copy music over. (By devices, I'm also going to assume you meant things like audio players and readers, not mice and keyboards)
    Yup, that's what I meant, things like audio players, readers, and other devices like that. Though I'm surprised that the Nook supports Linux officially. It's not everyday you see a company device supports Linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

The nook is also Android-based, I believe. So I'm sure devices based on Linux will run on Linux. And lots of hardware supports Linux even if they don't advertise it on the box or materials. The one exception is my notebook mouse, a Logitech M305. Support for Linux kernels 2.6 or greater. And lots of Logitech devices run, even if it's community driven. Like the new C910 webcam? Cheese'll capture hi-def. And the MX Revolution has support from btnx. Play around with stuff. You'll be surprised what you find and what you learn.

Beans

I recently acquired a Nikon D90, camera. Unfortunately Linux doesn't like the way Nikon formats the SD card so that puts paid to me trying to use the available Linux software for working with my photos.

OS X; the other side of my dual boot, had no problems reading the SD card. So I'm thankful that I wasn't put in the position where I had to go back to windows to handle my photos, which would certainly have been a bitter pill to swallow after being windows free for 5 years.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Well, use it with the micro SD card in my NDS.

Beans

My Sony MP3 player works great with Ubuntu and unlike Windows, Ubuntu allows me to go through folders on it and download any music that might have been deleted from the HDD.
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

My Hauppauge USB DVB Tuner worked out of the box, I just needed to install MythTV. My Creative Audigy 2 NX sound card also worked in Linux, it did need me to change some configuration files to make it default though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 15.04 Vivid Vervet

I use my BREW phone (3 Skypephone S2), which works but not as it should. You can access the microSD card fine (the phone acts as a card reader) but you can't sync contacts, the calendar or access the inbuilt memory. The driver runs only in Windows XP .

Beans

I use my HTC Desire with it and it works pretty well.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast