View Poll Results: Do you think flattr would be a good way to support developers/designers?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

19 82.61%
  • No.

4 17.39%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: flattr: social micropayment to support Ubuntu developers?

Beans

Re: flattr: social micropayment to support Ubuntu developers?

maybe if we used an open source version of flattr...... where there was no fee. like 10%!!!!
    Just hand me my pitchfork and torch.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by v1ad View Post
    maybe if we used an open source version of flattr...... where there was no fee. like 10%!!!!
    So, you want to use a service to support people, but you don't want to support the service?

What you are describing there is a “send me a cheque by mail” button. It is arguably better in the sense that all of the money (barring postage) goes where it intends, but it loses a lot by being a much more decisive, time-consuming and complex act.
    Last edited by Mr. Picklesworth; August 21st, 2010 at 03:29 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Smile Re: flattr: social micropayment to support Ubuntu developers?

I like it!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

If you like the idea, dont forget to vote on ubuntu brainstorm! Maybe you have a better solution than Flattr? http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/25383/

Beans

Just to comment the latest incidents concerning flattr and Ubuntu. Blogs that include flattr-buttons were excluded from the German Ubuntu planet by the team of ubuntuusers.de as it's seen as commercial advertisement which is not allow following the rules of the planet.

Now there is discussion on this decision and the general use of flattr for FOSS and blogs going on.

What about the other Ubuntu communities? Any talk on flattr?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I was looking for some software to support this month and found that phpMyAdmin is using Flattr too. Cool. Flattered!

Beans

Nice!

I just read an interesting article on flattr.

It was written by a german blogger (might be the guy who makes most money with flattr: 890e in August) who had a talk with the flattr guys.
    They have a "referral system". If a page (X) includes a flattr button for somebody else (Y), the page itself gets a revenu when somebody flattrs Y. And most interesting: This money for X is not taken from the flattr-amount of Y but of the 10% share of flattr.

This system could be transfered to the Software Center or other pages as launchpad etc.

They also added the possibility to add funds through moneybookers, so you do not longer need paypal.

I think they're on a good way.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Pifilatakanemu View Post
    Nice!

I just read an interesting article on flattr.

It was written by a german blogger (might be the guy who makes most money with flattr: 890e in August) who had a talk with the flattr guys.
    They have a "referral system". If a page (X) includes a flattr button for somebody else (Y), the page itself gets a revenu when somebody flattrs Y. And most interesting: This money for X is not taken from the flattr-amount of Y but of the 10% share of flattr.

This system could be transfered to the Software Center or other pages as launchpad etc.

They also added the possibility to add funds through moneybookers, so you do not longer need paypal.

I think they're on a good way.
    Cool. I also read that there is a re-flatter tool under testing (third-party), so you can setup recurring donations or simply re-flatter something you have flattered the previous month.

Beans

Actually the flattr-guys themselfes are working on this option to create a "flattr-subscription".

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Pifilatakanemu View Post
    Actually the flattr-guys themselfes are working on this option to create a "flattr-subscription".
    That is really nice.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast