Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: User numbers?

Beans

User numbers?

Hi, All

I gather that there is no way to establish the actual number of Ubuntu (or other Linux distro) users. The "count" website seems to be out of date regarding current Ubuntu distro's and so I assume that it's not, if at all maintained.

Is the above the case, or is there somewhere one can view/add to these stats?

If not, are there any plans to create a representative stat dbase?

Cheers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: User numbers?

With so many ways to get Ubuntu and so many different ways people use it, there is no way to obtain any definitive number.

If you want to be counted, follow the links in my sigline...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

I propose bundling every PC on Earth with Ubuntu - that way we just count the number of PCs sold

Edit: My mistake that'd never catch on
    Last edited by jjex22; November 30th, 2011 at 01:43 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Arrow Re: User numbers?

I'm Linux user #426552 if this helps.
    A friendly & helpful Linux community who is also exploring Minecraft. Want to join us? Let us know.

http://linuxinternationals.org/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Mark stated in his keynote speech at UDS-P that Ubuntu had 19,000,000 users worldwide.

Beans
    Hidden!

Even if you could count the number of downloads of an OS release that doesn't mean the OS is actually being used. I download releases of several OS's then use VM's to play with them. I may delete a VM a day or two after I download the OS release. All Microsoft and Apple can report are sales of the OS; however, not its use. I've had as many as 9 computers with Microsoft licenses; however, none of them actually used the Microsoft OS. I can register as a Linux or Ubuntu user in order to be counted; however, I may still be using Microsoft Windows or Apple OS-X. I have a website that collects information on the visitor's OS, browser, language, time zone, etc., however, if they have JavaScript disabled, I get unknown for OS, browser, etc.
    Last edited by Old_Grey_Wolf; December 1st, 2011 at 01:47 AM.
    Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before upgrading, partitioning, or installing an OS.

No support requests by PM please.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Gray_Wolf View Post
    I've had as many as 9 computers with Microsoft licenses; however, none of them actually used the Microsoft OS.
    Too true I've paid for licences for every version of OSX since Jaguar, but since Leopard it's been a secondary OS - I had to buy a win XP licence for work in 2007 and began dual booting for the first time ever.

Nowadays I Have paid versions of Tiger,Leopard, and Lion installed Plus windows 7, and my usage is a little like this:
    Linux
    Leopard
    Win 7
    Lion
    PC-BSD
    Minix 3 (playing)

But then if you want uptime - the Tiger based home/work server runs 24/7 - even more so than my linux one - no Patches for that anymore! ... How on Earth do you figure that usage out!

Edit: I remember buying that XP licence; this is too good not to share-

guy in PC World - you know there's a newer version out?

Me - Oh, yeah, thank you - I just need Windows for work (It was much cheaper)

Guy in PC World - Do you have a computer you can run that on?

What my brain said - no I thought I'd just stick a keyboard in the box and shout at my tv

What I said -oh, no it's okay I'll be using Bootcamp

Anyway eventually got through the ordeal of the transaction, then as I was leaving he helpfully shouted after me "Good luck in the Army".... i was half way across the car park before I understood... this man was an idiot.
    Last edited by jjex22; December 1st, 2011 at 02:51 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Trying to determine exact numbers is almost a pointless endeavor. I have no doubt linux is growing, general observations are my gauge. I would say linux is doing OK and gaining many users daily.

Will it catch up to windows? Or even Mac? Probably not any time soon, but as long as it keeps moving forward, I'm happy. The most used isn't necessarily the best.
    Last edited by wolfen69; December 1st, 2011 at 02:51 AM. Reason: because I can

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Just to help things along, I stick "Ubuntu 11.10" into my browsers' user agent strings when Ubuntu hasn't already done so.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I think the userbase is me and my mates.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast