Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tablet Advice

Beans

Tablet Advice

I'm sorry I wasn't really sure where to post this.... but I want a tablet for Christmas and I was wondering if any of you had advice on which ones are best. I would prefer it to be under $300. And if it runs Android should i leave that on or switch to a different Linux distro. I'm sorry if this is the wrong post, but thanks for any advice you may have.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Tablet Advice

Verizon was (and might still be) selling the Motorola Xoom for only $199.99 in their holiday sale. There is also the 7 inch samsung galaxy tab (not sure if verizon is discounting the 10 inch galaxy tab), but I don't recommend the 7 inch galaxy tab because it is slow and gets quite hot to the touch. There is also the Kindle Fire, which is also $199.99, but amazon has it in their "walled garden". Other than those 3, there are no good tablets below $300
    Say no to Microsoft. Say yes to open source.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Make sure it has Android 3.0 or better. Don't attempt to install another version of Linux, just stick to Android or if you really want to root it and install a custom ROM go with Cyanogenmod 9 when it is released.
    Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself, where the heck is the ceiling.

Beans

What about the Toshiba Thrive? It's got Android 3.1 Honeycomb, with a 10.1" display, and has 8Gb storage, and its $280. The only reason it needs to be under $300 is because its going to be given to me and they usually spend $300 so I dont want to ask for more. Also I'm not too sure (it may have a reason) but why does Best Buy say the tablets have for example 8Gb memory? That may seem a little misleading to someone who thinks they are talking about RAM, because the first time I saw it I thought it was talking about RAM. And thank you LinuxFan999 and LowSky

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Tablets don't use hard drives. 8GB is referring to the internal flash memory. You will have 8GB of storage for applications and any media you load to the device.
    Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself, where the heck is the ceiling.

Beans

Thank you. I figured that, I just didnt like how it was worded, because it made me think of RAM but that seemed too ridiculous for a little tablet to have more RAM than a pc. And is flash memory last longer than a hard drive... because I talked to a guy at the Computer Domain (local computer store) and he said that if flash memory fails it can cost a lot to get the information back.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

When you moved to Linux, you might have had a few occasions where someone told you that you're thinking in Windows terms that don't apply. Same here. It's not a PC.

Good flash memory will last for the life of the device, yes; it technically has less longevity than a magnetic drive under "normal use," but hard drives don't die of old age to begin with, failing instead due to the accumulated mechanical damage of small shocks, which flash memory is much less prone to without any moving parts. If you break it, the data is gone, sure.

RAM is rarely listed in the adverts, but it's generally 500 megs or a gig. You don't need more than that for Android. With a little poking around, you can find the RAM for any particular tablet, but the bigger differences tend to be in processor speed.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by dRounse View Post
    What about the Toshiba Thrive?
    Thrive is a pretty good tablet. It has a USB host port, HDMI, and SD slot, all full size. The only problem with that tablet is that it's very thick.

It's too bad you couldn't have gotten in on Best Buy's Black Friday sale. They had ASUS Transformers for $249. That is one sweet tablet, especially at that price. I have one and love it. I think $399 is the regular price, though.

You need to go to somewhere like Best Buy and look at what they have. If you don't mind getting a 7 inch, you'll have a lot more to pick from at that price.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans

In all honesty, tablets are an over-hyped luxury toy.
    I bought an acer A500 and it was fun to play with for about 2 weeks.
    Unless you have a specific use in mind it just ends up lying on the
    coffee table to be played with occasionally while watching TV.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

My only machine right now is an Asus netbook. There's very little I do with it on a daily basis that Asus's own Transformer can't manage. And while I haven't yet died for lack of 3G access, it's been close on occasion. = P

$300 and no data plan is a toy, sure. I wouldn't say the same of slates in general.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast