Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Really badly need help with DVD-RW drive

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    You'll never know.
    Beans
    39
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Angry Really badly need help with DVD-RW drive

    I really need help with this problem. I've put a DVD-RW disc in the drive, and try to burn an iso (Windows 7 64-bit) with Brasero AND NOTHING HAPPENS . The DVD isn't being found. Please god help me.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Portsmouth, UK
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

    Re: Really badly need help with DVD-RW drive

    I presume you can read normal DVDs, and that it is in fact a DVD writer? Give us as much information as possible.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    QC CA
    Beans
    105

    Re: Really badly need help with DVD-RW drive

    Hello

    First don't panic!

    Second Have you ever taken apart your computer? It could be a loose wire somewhere.

    If that isn't the problem, try a diferent disk, not all disks are detected equaly and make sure that the cd drive is detected. I don't know how to check that it is detected but someone else may.

    Harrison
    Main Computer: Up in the air with Mint 13
    The story of Tux:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8609087
    Simple money manager: https://launchpad.net/climm
    MintCast!: www.mintcast.org

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    You'll never know.
    Beans
    39
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Unhappy Re: Really badly need help with DVD-RW drive

    Quote Originally Posted by Grenage View Post
    I presume you can read normal DVDs, and that it is in fact a DVD writer? Give us as much information as possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by harrisonk View Post
    Hello

    First don't panic!

    Second Have you ever taken apart your computer? It could be a loose wire somewhere.

    If that isn't the problem, try a diferent disk, not all disks are detected equaly and make sure that the cd drive is detected. I don't know how to check that it is detected but someone else may.

    Harrison
    It can read DVD's fine, and I have tried all my DVD-RW's. I'm sure it's a writer. It's whatever drive comes with a Dell Optiplex 745. I have checked the wires and they are fine.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Portsmouth, UK
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

    Re: Really badly need help with DVD-RW drive

    Have you ever written a disc with this drive, or has this problem only occurred recently (ubuntu install)?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    You'll never know.
    Beans
    39
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Unhappy Re: Really badly need help with DVD-RW drive

    Quote Originally Posted by Grenage View Post
    Have you ever written a disc with this drive, or has this problem only occurred recently (ubuntu install)?
    Yes I wrote alot of discs on Windows. This problem has occurred ever since I installed Ubuntu.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Beans
    5,815
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Really badly need help with DVD-RW drive

    Maybe nothing is happening because you are trying to burn an ISO of a proprietary operating system.

    All joking aside. I'm on a Optiplex 745 and it does have a DVD-RW.

    Have your tried writing other things to the DVD-RW, not just reading? Maybe try a new disk.
    Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself, where the heck is the ceiling.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    You'll never know.
    Beans
    39
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Unhappy Re: Really badly need help with DVD-RW drive

    Quote Originally Posted by LowSky View Post
    Maybe nothing is happening because you are trying to burn an ISO of a proprietary operating system.

    All joking aside. I'm on a Optiplex 745 and it does have a DVD-RW.

    Have your tried writing other things to the DVD-RW, not just reading? Maybe try a new disk.
    I can't as the DVD-RW can't be found.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Beans
    19,293
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

    Re: Really badly need help with DVD-RW drive

    I changed to GnomeBaker for my burning needs; I have found that it works better than Brasero, the default burner. It's available from the Ubuntu Software Center, if Universe is enabled.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

    My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Lancashire. UK
    Beans
    71
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Really badly need help with DVD-RW drive

    The best thing you can do is get shut of Brasero, install ktorrent from the repo and select burn image.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •