first of all, I would like to say thank you to all of you that are part of this community for providing such a great place for all of us Ubuntu newbies.
I've spent the last few days browsing these forums and searching for the explainations, that would clear my doubts regarding the process involved in installing Ubuntu 10.04, on a PC where Windows XP is already installed. I would like to be able to dual-boot and choose the operating system on the startup.
Now, as I understand, the Live CD provides some great features that enable this, however, I still have some doubts that need to be cleared before I dare to proceed.
First of all, this is my current configuration for the Windows partition:
C drive: Max 103 GB, Available: 46 GB (I am planing to do some cleanup and hope to have as much as 76 GB free space when done)
System Recovery Partition (D drive): Max 7.18 GB, Available: 5.83 GB
My HP Laptop specifications:
HP Pavilion dv5187eu
AMD Turion 64 (2.2 GHz)
120 GB Hard Drive
1024 MB DDR
ATI Radeon Express 128 MB DDR
1. Now, as I understand, one can partition a drive either manually directly in Windows or let the Live CD do it during the Ubuntu installation. What are the pros and cons for each method respectivelly? If possible, I would rather let the Live CD do it automatically in order not to mess up things.
2. What partition sizes should I choose for my system for Windows and Ubuntu partitions respectively? I read somewhere that the recommended size for Windows should be at least 20 GB and that is alright I guess. I would like Ubuntu to use as much space as possible, but I don't want Windows to be messed up as a result.
3. How can I be sure that my hardware will be supported? I am especially worried about the network card as I read that setting up the wireless connections might be a tricky thing to do in Ubuntu. My network card is Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN
4. Are my hardware specs enough for Ubuntu to run smoothly? Will I be able to run Compiz window manager?
5. Is there anything else I should do or take care of before installing?
I know that these are somewhat hard questions to answer, but when answered they will make my life much easier
Thank you in advance.