Hybrid View

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 8.04 Hardy Heron

Ubuntu finally getting multitouch

The next version of Ubuntu will get multitouch interface abilities
    http://aatechno.blogspot.com/2010/08...+Technology%29
    Last edited by aysiu; August 17th, 2010 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Changed short link to long one
    Behold! The internet...
    My god, it's full of ads.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Ubuntu finally getting multitouch

Firefox 4 too, but only for Windows 7 so far. I don't know when is going to be available for Linux.

See the video at http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/4.0b3/whatsnew/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Ah, very good.

Although I do have one comment to the OP, why the short link? Short links are useful in services such as Twitter which thinks it adds value by limiting you to 140 characters, or IRC where you wouldn't want to spam the whole place with a link that's 4 lines long, but in a forum like this? Even if the link was too long VBulletin would simply not show the entire link in the actual post. (Sorry, I just think shot links are in general, bad, unless their really needed).
    Did you enjoy this rant? You can find more at:
    http://www.leifandersen.net

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by LeifAndersen View Post
    Ah, very good.

Although I do have one comment to the OP, why the short link? Short links are useful in services such as Twitter which thinks it adds value by limiting you to 140 characters, or IRC where you wouldn't want to spam the whole place with a link that's 4 lines long, but in a forum like this? Even if the link was too long VBulletin would simply not show the entire link in the actual post. (Sorry, I just think shot links are in general, bad, unless their really needed).
    there's also the url tags where you can hyperlink text to a url.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by LeifAndersen View Post
    Ah, very good.

I use short links here to post images from picasa, because for some reason the forum censoring system replaces part of some URLs with asterisks. Probably not the case here, but I just wanted to show a valid example of it's usefulness here in the forums.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Cool, but I've seen multitouch videos for years. Hmmmm....
    Quote Originally Posted by lovinglinux View Post
    Firefox 4 too, but only for Windows 7 so far. I don't know when is going to be available for Linux.

See the video at http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/4.0b3/whatsnew/
    firefox needs to start caring a bit more about linux...
    I had to do it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin2128 View Post
    Cool, but I've seen multitouch videos for years. Hmmmm....
    Lots of those involve experimental multitouch systems thrown onto Linux. The difference here is it's aiming to be a standard, well supported, top-to-bottom solution to last and coexist on the desktop. It distinctly isn't a tech demo.

When I first read someone was doing multitouch (I forget where…), I wasn't expecting much. I was pleasantly surprised to see how much is going on, and now super excited :)
    Last edited by Mr. Picklesworth; August 17th, 2010 at 05:59 PM.

Nice. Its about time.

Its because they are using the new kernel.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

YAY!!!

I have an HP-Tx2-1275dx, and I'm hoping for some more functionality.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

This isn't just for touchscreen devices, but it can also be used for my laptop's touchpad too, right? Like in OSX you can use two fingers on the touchpad and scroll. Will this be a standard option in Ubuntu within the next year?
    Also, is this going to be integrated in both GNOME and KDE within Ubuntu?
    Is this going to soon be an option in all major Distros? Like Debian, Red Hat, Mandriva, OpenSuse, Fedora, etc, etc?
    Will this be more of a standard through KDE/GNOME or the Kernal or is it going to be purely something extra that the distro puts in?

All I really care about is that I can use my touchpad on my laptop to do things like you can in OSX, because I really like that feature... But this is really cool if it can be well supported, and works... I'm kind of excited.