Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: apci problomes with 10.04 on toshiba satellite C650D

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Talking [SOLVED]: apci problomes with 10.04 on toshiba satellite C650D (with guide)

im turning this into an install guide

Unadresed problems:
    1. battery not detected / no power mangement
    2. boot splash screen

booting from the live cd:
    after inserting the disk and booting when the you get to the purple splash screen press "esc" select your language then press F6 and select "no=acpi"

install as you normally would if you are new to Linux here is a guide

when you reboot at the grub menu press 'e' on the first item of the list this will bring you to a bunch of commands
    Move to the line:
    > linux /vmlinuz... ro quiet splash
    add options to the end of the line; for example:
    > linux /vmlinuz... ro quiet splash apci=off

Type <Ctrl>-x <Enter>
    this should get you into ubuntu
    after you boot in do this:
    open your terminal
    and type:
    $ cd /etc/default
    $ sudo gedit grub

Change the line:
    > GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""
    to:
    > GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="acpi=ht"
    quotes required.

save as "/etc/default/grub"

Update the GRUB2 bootloader:
    $ sudo update-grub
    reboot
    to get your sound working right:
    next fallow these instructions
    and now these

so far this is all i have credit goes to:
    spiderman05 and hwbii

original post:

i installed 10.04 but did not know how to have the apci=off option like i had in the live cd i assumed (incorrectly) that the option continued on to the installation can any one tell me how to set apci=off before during or preferably after
    i have searched around for a while but am not able to find anything that helped
    Last edited by killernat; August 31st, 2010 at 03:21 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: apci problomes with 10.04 on toshiba satellite C650D

I have been struggling with my newly purchased Toshiba C650D as well. In order to disable acpi, hit ESC key when the purple screen shows up, then F6, then select acpi=off from the popup menu.

Your wireless card be detected and running out of the box. Though, you will need to download a new release of atl1c module to make your AR8152 ethernet card work. Also, the headphones will not work out of the box, there is a workaround. Finally, you will need to make space for Ubuntu if you want to install it on your hard drive. Toshiba uses all the 4 primary partitions on the HD. I shrank partition 2 to 80GB, then deleted partition 3 and installed ubuntu on the new primary partition.

This is the post that helped set my ethernet card: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=9449490

PS. Disabling ACPI slowed down my computer, there seems to be a kernel upgarade that solves this problem. I am trying this route instead.

Good luck.

Beans

The GRUB2 bootloader uses scripts to build the boot menu.
    If you edit the menu entry in "/grub/grub.cfg" your changes will be lost after the next
    kernel upgrade. A permanent solution is to edit "/etc/default/grub".

$ cd /etc/default
    $ sudo {your editor } grub

Change the line:
    > GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""
    to:
    > GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="acpi=off"
    quotes required.

save as "/etc/default/grub"

Update the GRUB2 bootloader:
    $ sudo update-grub

reboot

If you want to interactively make changes to the boot options for testing
    purposes, you can edit the menu options on-the-fly.

When the splash screen displays, immediately press <Shift> (I believe).
    Then the boot menu should display.
    Use the up/down arrows to select the desired menu entry (usually the first).

Press e .
    Move to the line:
    > linux /vmlinuz... ro
    > linux /vmlinuz... ro acpi=off

Type <Ctrl>-x <Enter>

Here are a few links to some good documents describing how GRUB2 works & how to set options. You may find that you can partially disable ACPI & still shut down automatically with ACPI. It's worth a try.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Gr...ing%20GRUB%202

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions
    Last edited by hwbiii; August 17th, 2010 at 08:57 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by hwbiii View Post
    The GRUB2 bootloader uses scripts to build

If you want to interactively make changes to the boot options for testing
    purposes, you can edit the menu options on-the-fly.

When the splash screen displays, immediately press <Shift> (I believe).
    Then the boot menu should display.
    Use the up/down arrows to select the desired menu entry (usually the first).

Press e .
    Move to the line:
    > linux /vmlinuz... ro
    > linux /vmlinuz... ro acpi=off

Type <Ctrl>-x <Enter>

[/URL]

ive tried this already but when i boot it still goes to the screen with all the acpi errors
    i have also tried to edit the grub file(on a live cd) when i use "sudo update-grub2" it gives me a grub probe error with /dev cannot be found or something like that is there a special way i need to do it from live cd
    this wouldn't be as much of a problem if grub still used menu.lst
    edit: ok i got into Ubuntu i just didnt add the acpi=off at the right spot so now i should be able to get update grub to load to work

spiderman05 if you read my post i was able to install it meaning i got passed the initial problem with the live cd

edit ok i got it working right thanks for your help now time to figure out what else Ubuntu doesn't like about Toshiba lol
    Last edited by killernat; August 17th, 2010 at 10:19 PM.

Beans
    Distro

@ spider
    actualy toshiba only needs the first 2 so i dumped the last 2 and shrank the 2nd by about 60gb so i have 100 gb for ubuntu thanks for the ethernet fix what was the workaround for the headphones?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by killernat View Post
    @ spider
    actualy toshiba only needs the first 2 so i dumped the last 2 and shrank the 2nd by about 60gb so i have 100 gb for ubuntu thanks for the ethernet fix what was the workaround for the headphones?
    Killernat,

OK, I did not know that you already installed Ubuntu. B.t.w, re. option "acpi=off" somebody posted that this will cause the system restrict to a single CPU. He suggested to use "acpi=ht" instead. I am using acpi=ht in my GRUB configuration, this works fine and I can see that both CPUs are being used. I did not check if setting acpi to off will actually cause the system to restrict to one core.

Re. the HD partitions, I read that the 4th partition is the Toshiba recovery partition. I made recovery DVDs when I got my laptop. I will remove this partition as well when I have a chance to check that my recovery DVDs are OK.

The workaround that I tried for the headphones was to add line

options snd-hda-intel model=lenovo

to file /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf

This solution, worked on Karmik, though I have just noticed that it does not work on Lucent. Now, I have sound coming from both the laptop speakers and the headphones. Also, the mic does not work. I tried values toshiba and acer for model, without any success. This is not a crtical issue for me. I am happy with my configuration so far. I have been a Mandriva user for the past 8 years and I am glad that I finally made the jump to Ubuntu. Mandriva 2010 spring did not boot on my C650D, no errors given, it just freezes

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

After a few hours reading forums, I finally got the headphones and the microphone to work. The sound card is an Conexant CX20585 chip, per Gnome Alsa Mixer. saiganeshb found a site that provides drivers for these cards http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...8&postcount=38

You need to make sure, that you also have the C compiler, make utility and header files. Personally, I first upgraded my Alsa driver to 1.0.23 following these instructions http://monespaceperso.org/blog-en/20...id-lynx-10-04/ , then I installed the Conexant driver and rebooted.

The C650D laptop is new, so all these headaches to install Ubuntu are somewhat expectable.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Thumbs down Re: apci problomes with 10.04 on toshiba satellite C650D

Quote Originally Posted by spiderman05 View Post
    You need to make sure, that you also have the C compiler, make utility and header files. Personally, I first upgraded my Alsa driver to 1.0.23 following these instructions http://monespaceperso.org/blog-en/20...id-lynx-10-04/ , then I installed the Conexant driver and rebooted.

This doesn't work for me. I already have ALSA 1.0.23 and installed the alsa-driver-linuxant_1.0.23.0_all.deb, but there was no change in my system after rebooting, my headphones still don't work... Anybody has more ideas?

Re the problem with the acpi, I have solved it installing kernel 2.6.35 and adding "acpi=copy_dsdt", as recommended in this bug report
    I have also tried "acpi=ht" and it gives me functionality for both processors as well. As I am quite new to the linux world, I don't know which one's best, but I just thought I'd mention it, I'm sure it'll help someone.

I have another problem that may not belong to this thread but given the fact that we're all concerned with the same machine, I'm going to throw it in and if anybody can point me in the right direction, the more the merrier:
    As you all probably know, the Synaptics Touchpad on this laptop supports multitouch and it works fine on Windows but I can't make it work in Lucid. I've tried with gsynaptics and with gpointing-device-settings but none give me the functionality I was expecting.

I really want to have this machine working at its fullest for it is a good computer with a very nice design and running into so many little things is burning me down...
    As I said before, any help would be much appreciated.

rock on

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

try a fresh install with 10.10 alpha-3 Maverick . everything works perfectly - battery, cpu scaling, wireless, fans, all cores recognized.
    no arguments have to passed to grub either

i tried updating from 10.04, and that didnt work, but the fresh install did.
    All bleeding stops, one way or another.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by orthopod View Post
    try a fresh install with 10.10 alpha-3 Maverick . everything works perfectly - battery, cpu scaling, wireless, fans, all cores recognized.
    no arguments have to passed to grub either

i tried updating from 10.04, and that didnt work, but the fresh install did.
    ill make a new partition and try that

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast