Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Confused on how to update Tbird

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Confused on how to update Tbird

I am confused on what is the standard and intended way of installing TB updates. Under Edit>Preferences>Advanced>Update there is an option to have TB check for new updates and ask me if I want to install them. I have set that option, but whenever it finds an update, it puts up a window that says I don't have permission to install the update. TB is installed in /opt, if that makes a difference. Is this the standard method for updating TB, and am I just having problem with it, or is ubuntuzilla the standard and intended method of installing updates?

Any help appreciated, and if you can tell me how to fix my permission problem that would be helpful.

Also, have the same question for Firefox.

Thanks

Ralph

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Confused on how to update Tbird

Hi,

Ideally you would get your updates from a repository, rather than use individual applications' auto-update mechanisms.

So, if you're using the ubuntuzilla repository, you should just pull the latest versions from that, rather than doing the within-app autoupdate.

There are no 'permission problems' here - the application files are owned by root, as are all application files.

Did you use the ubuntuzilla repository, or the old ubuntuzilla script to install?

Beans

I am also confused to update Thunderbird, i have many problems. can any one tell the procedure how to update.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by houndi View Post
    I am also confused to update Thunderbird, i have many problems. can any one tell the procedure how to update.
    please give more details about your setup. do you currently have an ubuntuzilla package installed, or just using stock ubuntu-repos version of thunderbird? if ubuntuzilla, did you use the repository and get the 'thunderbird-mozilla-build' package, or did you use the script? also, are you on 32bit on 64bit?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

The scenario I gave below does NOT work. For some reason when TB is installed using sudo, it is only accessible by using sudo. So don't do what I did.

Found and easy way:
    1. Brought up Terminal and entered "sudo thunderbird"
    2. Went to TB menu>Help>Check for Updates.. This listed the latest stable version of TB.
    3. Installed the latest stable version.

Ralph
    Last edited by Ralph L; October 11th, 2010 at 11:04 PM.

Beans
    Distro

just for future readers: running thunderbird with 'sudo' is a bad idea, that can mess up the ownership of your thunderbird profile. if you must, run it with "gksudo" instead.

even that is not 'ideal' - best to get updates from a repository.

Beans

Unhappy Re: Confused on how to update Tbird

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph L View Post
    Found and easy way:
    1. Brought up Terminal and entered "sudo thunderbird"
    2. Went to TB menu>Help>Check for Updates.. This listed the latest stable version of TB.
    Hmm. Tried that with TB 3.0.6 and didn't find the "Check for Updates" option.

I am finding it difficult to find a definitive answer for how to upgrade ThunderBird from 3.0 to 3.1 on Ubuntu 10.04.

JGT

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

The Ubuntuzilla repository has TB 3.1.7, and that's what I have installed. Because I've left TB's own update checker on, it is telling me that 3.1.8 is available. I know that clicking the update checker to update won't work, and that I should wait until 3.1.8 is in the Ubuntizilla repository, but how long does it normally take for that to happen. Please correct me if I've got the wrong idea about updates, but the above several posters have asked about updates without getting clear and concise answers.

Beans

Ehehehe... the new version goes in the Ubuntuzilla repository when our beloved nanotube can do it
    Normally he is fast, and a couple of days from the release are enough. Now he must be on holydays eheheheh!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Thanks. How Ubuntuzilla updates work should be made a bit more obvious on the main pages.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast