Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What does Ubuntu actually do?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

What does Ubuntu actually do?

This is a very noob question. Basically I am wondering what features of Ubuntu are attributable to the DE used and what are attributable to Ubuntu itself. I currently run Gnome on Ubuntu and I really like it, but am considering moving to Arch to try it out. If I switched I would probably run Gnome on Arch. I know that Ubuntu and Arch use different package managers and installation managers, but apart from that what would be the main difference to the user?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: What does Ubuntu actually do?

umm, i see that you made 3 threads talking about the same thing

and what are you talking about??
    all these abbreviations are too hard for me >.<

I'm using a colored text thingy. I'm so cool.

Beans
    Hidden!

Ubuntu allows you to engage in your OCD!
    EasyBCD.
    PrintersDatabase
    Boot Info Script: How to
    The post above and the post below suffer from the Rashomon effect!

Beans

The differences between Ubuntu and Arch are very big when you first install, then almost trivial for a few months, and then big again when Ubuntu comes out with a new release and Arch just keeps rolling.

Unless there is a specific difference/feature that requires you to switch to Arch, I'd just stick with Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Hi,
    The first major difference between Ubuntu and Arch, is there is no desktop installed on Arch. If customizing your own desktop is what you are wanting to do, it is possible to do that with an ubuntu mini cd too, which also has no desktop when first installed.

What does Ubuntu actually do?
    Well, I find it can do more for me than most other distributions because of the large amount of packages in the repositories. Most people don't have my taste in choice of applications though, so for other people the differences in size of repositories won't matter as much.

Basically I am wondering what features of Ubuntu are attributable to the DE used and what are attributable to Ubuntu itself.
    The things that separate the 'ubuntu-desktop' package from other gnome desktops in other distributions is: Ubuntu is trying to make the Gnome desktop more user friendly, and the Ubuntu developers have created some of the software for their own desktop such as 'Ubuntu One', 'Ubuntu Software Center/Store', etc. LinuxMint (based on Ubuntu) has also done the same with their own Mint software. Every linux distribution is going to have some differences on the desktop, mostly the their choice in default applications and themes, but as far as the Gnome applications go, they are essentially the same across every distribution.
    Hope this helps.

Edited: I came back to elaborate on my post
    Last edited by ankspo71; August 17th, 2010 at 06:26 PM.

Beans
    Distro

First of all sorry for posting it three times, whenever I posted it it wouldn't show up for some reason.

Second, thanks for the advice. So take Evolution for example, that is a Gnome app and not an Ubuntu app right? Would I still be able to use it if I switched to Gnome on Arch?

The main reason I'm thinking about switching to Arch is just to learn a bit more about Linux. I just wanna try something with a little steeper learning curve, but i wouldn't have the time for Gentoo or LFS.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bunburya View Post
    First of all sorry for posting it three times, whenever I posted it it wouldn't show up for some reason.

Second, thanks for the advice. So take Evolution for example, that is a Gnome app and not an Ubuntu app right? Would I still be able to use it if I switched to Gnome on Arch?

The main reason I'm thinking about switching to Arch is just to learn a bit more about Linux. I just wanna try something with a little steeper learning curve, but i wouldn't have the time for Gentoo or LFS.
    No problem; we had some database problems on the forum the other day--the multi-post was not your fault.

Evolution is the same in Ubuntu and Arch. All of the apps are. The everyday experience of using the computer is the same.

Some people think the process of installing Arch teaches you "more about Linux" than installing Ubuntu because you are forced to use the command line. However, Ubuntu has a command line too (Applications, Accessories, Terminal) so don't feel there aren't plenty of fun advanced projects you can do in Ubuntu too.

Furthermore Ubuntu also has a minimal installer (even though most people don't use it) if you are interested: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...tion/MinimalCD

To recap, the differences between distros are not the applications or the everyday experience of using them; it is in how you do the original install and how you maintain the system over time (package manager, support cycle, rolling vs. snapshot release, etc.)
    Last edited by snowpine; August 17th, 2010 at 06:00 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Slackware. Tis good. You will learn some linux with that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Indeed you are correct.

Like any Linux distro, most of what Ubuntu is is a collection of other projects. The only things that I can think of off the top of my head that are "Ubuntu apps" would be the particular package manager, the System>Adiminstration>Hardware Drivers GUI, and Ubuntu One.

Well and of course Ubuntu makes its own tweaks to things. Like the hardware support loaded into the kernel will be different.
    Last edited by Zorgoth; August 17th, 2010 at 05:56 PM.
    Intel core i5-2400, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the help everyone. Given that I've been using Ubuntu for a while now I probably should have known the answer to this but I never really thought about it!

Slackware is another distro I've been looking into. I'm not sure what I'll do. Basically I wanna try out something a bit more "difficult" while not over-burdening myself given that I've a busy year of college ahead. Sure I'll give Arch or Slack a go and if I really prefer Ubuntu I'll be back in time for Maverick!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast