Thread: samba auth. error in 10.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Red face samba auth. error in 10.04

Hi Everyone,

I have a NAS that I installed 10.04 on and installed the GUI Samba through "Ubuntu Software Center". The NAS machine main account is "andrew" and that is the owner of all the data in the shares (a lot of files) but I want a separate user name and password to be able to access the data shares. I set up "Samba Users" so the local account "andrew" uses user name "family" and a different password.

I then have local machines (all Ubuntu, different versions.) mount the shares using the following fstab entries.
    Code:
    //192.168.1.10/Music	/home/jill/Music	cifs auto,username=family,password=********,uid=1000,umask=000,user   0 0
    //192.168.1.10/public	/home/jill/Public	cifs auto,username=family,password=********,uid=1000,umask=000,user   0 0
    //192.168.1.10/jrfiles	/home/jill/Documents	cifs auto,username=family,password=********,uid=1000,umask=000,user   0 0
    What happens is this works fine for a day, and then without any changes, attempts to mount after 24 hours result in...
    Code:
    mount: block device //192.168.1.10/***** is write protected, mounting read-only
    mount: cannot mount block device //192.168.1.1/***** read-only
    When the NAS used 8.04 LTS, this worked without any issues, but now after about a day, this stops working. Rebooting the NAS and this will work again, only to stop after a day.

I found this Bug report but it does not seem to be the same issue. HELP!

-AR
    Actors make their living playing pretend, so why do we listen to them about how we should live in the real world?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: samba auth. error in 10.04

Bump!?

-ar
    Actors make their living playing pretend, so why do we listen to them about how we should live in the real world?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: samba auth. error in 10.04

Help Please?

I am shocked to think that this is not affecting anyone else, as it is a common application.

Can someone else at least verify this please?

-AR