Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: pptp vpn not connecting

Beans

Re: pptp vpn not connecting

I am also curious as to what settings you have used to connect to proxpn. I have free accounts with both itshidden and proxpn. I am currently unable to connect with either service with my Ubuntu box. I have successfully connected to the swissvpn service mentioned earlier in the thread with Ubuntu, so I know it isn't my network settings. I can connect with both on a Windows xp system from the same location, so I have narrowed it down to the settings for network manager. Looking at the forums and other tech sites are giving the same and sometimes conflicting information as to how to "fix" the problem - None of which seem to work for me.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Oxwivi View Post
    Edit the connection and click on the Advanced button. Under Security and Compression, check the first two options as well: Use Point-to-Point encryption (MPPE) and Allow stateful encryption. Doing this allowed me to access two VPNs I tried so far.

Currently using proXPN.
    I'm not able to connect with Ubuntu 10.10 64-bit either. I've used the built-in PPTP and tried the openVPN types to no avail.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Oxwivi View Post
    I'm using it WITHOUT the software. It should be obvious since I'm using Ubuntu 10.04 like my profile says. Using the iPhone settings and a bit of tweaking I mentioned above, I got it running.

And you can't help log monitoring. As long as you use internet, I believe there's no privacy. So I don't bother hiding my details either.
    Can you provide an example of how you did this? I'm been trying to figure it out myself.

Thanks.

Beans

I've contacted proXPN and asked for detailed instruction on how to set up their service with Ubuntu, and Linux in general.

If they respond with a working solution I'll be posting it to the forums as soon as I am able.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

To use proXPN, you can't use the usual username and password with which you used to apply for proXPN account. I had contacted proXPN, my email was oxwivi@gmail.com, and they told me to use pptpd_oxwivi@gmail.com instead with another set of password. If you cannot login with your usual username and password, try contacting them. You can use my account to access proXPN if you want to as well - I will provide you with my password on request.

The settings were the same as the iPhone settings they provided, but there are some additional options to take care of on Ubuntu.

• Click on the network icon on the panel, and navigate to VPN Connections and choose Configure VPN...
    • Click on Add
    • Select Point-to-Point Tunnelling Protocol (PPTP) from the dropdown list.
    • Fill in the form with the following details:

Code:
    Connection name [any name you prefer]
    Gateway pptp.proxpn.com
    Username [refer to the first paragraph]
    Password [refer to the first paragraph]
    NT Domain [leave it empty]
    • Click on the Advanced button after NT Domain, and check the first two checkboxes under Security and Compression. The last three options doesn't make a difference.
    Last edited by Oxwivi; January 13th, 2011 at 09:31 AM.

Beans
    Distro

proXPN breking news! Successfully connected to proXPN using OpenVPN!

Beans

Really? That's awesome!! Can u tell us how to set it up.. PPTP is not working for me.. Maybe its my network. Maybe pptp port is blocked.. Hmm..

https://www.vpnreactor.com/linux_openvpn.html

Should we follow the instructions above till number 3?
    Thanks =))

Beans
    Distro

Actually, to tell you the truth, I've successfully used it on Windows only, since for a certain software I've been on Windows for most of the time. I'll try to use it on Ubuntu and inform you.

Beans

I read this thread a few times before finding my answer. Hopefully this helps someone in the future. Remove http:// and / from your server names.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...tp/+bug/664453

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12