Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I am so screwed....

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: I am so screwed....

Quote Originally Posted by darco View Post
    I am looking on Newegg and see a SG 1.5tb drive for 79 bucks but these huge drives are a pain. When my WD started to go, I ran a 3rd party disc check and after 8hrs, it barely covered 25%. I guess the mfg dont expect you to ever run diagnostics on their drives....
    I've used the manufactures diag utilites and they mostly just do a short test to see if the drive passes. If it does, you can do a long test.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco24 View Post
    Sh*t on WD & SG... I recomend Hitachi - silent & dependable.
    I've had success with Maxtor, WD, SG and Hitachi. All work for me.

I've also had 2 Seagate external drives DoA.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Near the end just before Maxtor was bought out, I had several of them die within a month of purchase, I also stay away from Fujitsu, and I haven't had the best of luck with Hitachi, after all they still name their drives Deathstar . I've had the best of luck with WD and Seagate.

I had a couple of WD 400Gb drives that I thought I had problems with, but it turned out to be a problem with fakeraid corrupting data. The drives are still in use 2 years later, with zero problems.

Beans

Does that old rule apply still about when installing a 2nd drive it should be at least the same mfg as the 1st drive? I have a WD Sata 3.0 and thinking of buying anything but a WD...
    thxs
    Reason: no beans

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

The way to get data off a clicking hard disk its as old as hard disks themselves:

As soon as the hard drive starts clicking, immediatly shut it down, stick it into a plastic bag, and store it in the freezer overnight. the next day pack it in instant icepacks, connect it to the computer, and clone the drive.

as for reliability, I have a 75MB seagate drive from 1991 still working on my dos laptop (hoping to find a linux for it eventually)
    if you need a fast live cd for testing or anything really:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...70#post9715370
    boots live in just 82MB of ram, no swap!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by linux18 View Post
    as for reliability, I have a 75MB seagate drive from 1991 still working on my dos laptop (hoping to find a linux for it eventually)
    75mb..nice lol.
    I have a 250gb Seagate drive which I've had from 2005 and it works absolutely no problems still
    - "Make me a coffee..."
    - "No"
    - "sudo make me a coffee"
    - "OK"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I seem to sell my computers and buy a new one before any of this kind of stuff happens. But this last computer I bought is so good that I decided I'll keep it for the next 20 years, since it will last me at least that long.

I hope you find a brand that serves you well this time. Kind of ironic that the people doing backups like they should are getting screwed while I'm not. =_= ; I'm going to regret this some day. I did back ups monthly for a while, but nothing ever happened, so I stopped. XD

Eh, I guess I don't have anything that wouldn't take more than a day to reproduce on this thing. Even code, it's all on Gmail.

Perhaps I shouldn't trust Gmail so much, either. O_O

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12