Thread: Acer Aspire 4520 fan control?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Acer Aspire 4520 fan control?

Hello, I have been searching for a solution to this for quite a few days now.

Windows let me manipulate my fan speed just fine, I don't mind the noise because the speed is what matters to me the most, but somehow except from the already available guide to the fancontrol utilities and some /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/ "tweaks" (which none worked) I think I just got into a deadlock regarding this.

I somehow already knew that the fan is controlled by the BIOS, but if Windows can let me control the fan (via a software - I am using ACFanControl by the way), then I figured there must be a way for me to do the same in Ubuntu/Linux.

Apparently I need this solution because for some reason the laptop's temperature jumped by at least ~20 degrees (in Celsius) everytime I changed the clock speed - in which it's the safest at around 50% of the full clock speed - if I want to have a hope of keeping the CPU cool.

tl;dr (Too long; didn't read): All I need is a way to turn on the fan to the highest speed possible, never mind the noise since I need it.

Any suggestions/solutions are much appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Acer Aspire 4520 fan control?

Bump.