Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Half life 2 performance in cedega.

Beans

Re: Half life 2 performance in cedega.

Quote Originally Posted by valadil
    jdodson:

RenderAccel is easily switched off. What, if anything, do you use for NVagp?
    i will check when i get home. i use the defaults. the only commands i ran to get 3D working were the following straight from the guide:

Code:

$ sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx
    $ sudo apt-get install nvidia-settings
    $ sudo nvidia-glx-config enable
    Cheerful Ghost - build your game list, write about awesome games and share that with the world. join us!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Quote Originally Posted by jdodson
    there is an optimization on http://www.ubuntuguide.org that said it would increase performance if you added it to your config. i found that it dumped my performance into the toilet. it was this optimization that was the culprit. perhaps turn that off, that might help..... or not, it did for me.
    In your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 under the nvidia section try
    Code:
    Option          "RenderAccel"           "true"
    Option 		"NvAGP"			"3"
    The 3 enables hardware agp, 1 is software agp emulation mode I believe.
    Quote Originally Posted by puzzledm
    As far as I can see from looking around Windows runs hl2 at a much better rate under the same spec machine compared to running it in Linux. I am just wondering why? Surely there should be a way to match the same performance in Cedega. Especially considering most other games I have been playing have been getting a performance boost being played in Linux!
    Check out this article on tomshardware for benchmarks under linux including with cedaga.
    Last edited by dejitarob; February 18th, 2005 at 09:05 PM.
    "We do not want a world in which the guarantee that we will not die of starvation is bought by accepting the risk of dying of boredom." -Vaneigem

Beans
    Hidden!

Performance problems ? ok Linux can b slower, but have y`all tweaking the hl2/hl2/cfg/config.cfg file ? this allows uber performance upgrades

also setting higher heapsizes [128000 or higher than default 64k]

Check advanced tweaking here: http://www.tweakguides.com/HL2_7.html [advanced cfg config applies to all systems, not only Winblows]

Beans

I found a great performance boost for HL2 with cedega. I'm using an nvidia FX 5200 with an athlon xp 2400 and 500 megs of ram. I tried pretty much everything and I was still getting 10-19 frames per second (using cl_showfps in the in-game console to display the fps).

The first thing I noticed was that I needed to stop running hl2 in a window. I got a performance boost of about 10 frames per second just by running in fullscreen. I read around and some people suggested starting hl2 with the parameter -dxlevel 80 or -dxlevel 81 but that actually did nothing. Then I read that for the FX 5200, half-life 2 defaults to hardware direct x version 8. So I ran it with the parameter -dxlevel 90 and lo and behold, I was able to get 25-71 fps at an average of about 30-41! This made the game extremely playable. And to me, it's indistinguishable from running it on windows.

This tweak will probably work for a few different cards besides the 5200 because as I understand it, in the FX series they used basicly the same chipset for a few different versions.

Make sure after you add the parameter, when you launch the game go to the advanced video dialog and set everything to the lowest setting to get the best performance (hl2 will turn everything to medium or reccomended settings when you first launch with the dxlevel 90 parameter). Both hardware and software direct x level should read as 9 in this dialog.
    Last edited by Arktis; February 24th, 2005 at 12:42 PM.

Beans

Rrrr... My HL2 won't start in DX9 mode in Ubuntu: it crashes.

Beans

I added -dxlevel 90 to my launch options and it crashed so I had to hit ctrl-alt-bckspc and restart x except now Gnome won't start - does anyone know how I can get it back on??
    Poor Billy we'll see him no more/ for what he thought has H2O was H2SO4.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Try a complete reboot & see what happens.
    Registered Linux user #376998
    The Linux Counter Project - Get Counted!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Current DX 9 support isn't really there in Cedega...shorta, but its pretty fake.

You best bet is to add -dxlevel 80 to your launch options in CS:S.

I'm not getting that great of FPS with my high dollar card either. If anyone else knows some tricks I should do let me know.

Ubuntu 5.04
    AMD 2600+ barton
    1GB PC2700
    250GB HD
    Geforce 6800 GT OC
    SB Live! X Gamer
    Cedega 4.2.1/P2P 1.3.2 (Subscribed)

Beans

Current DX 9 support isn't really there in Cedega...shorta, but its pretty fake.
    Strange. Works better for me than the dx 8 support. It's the only thing that makes hl2 bearable.

Quote Originally Posted by rlwelch
    emulating a game
    WINE Is Not an Emulator

It's slower because Microsoft have a load of people working on Windows's DirectX, Transgaming doesn't. As they spend more time improving the code paths in cedega's DirectX then the games will improve.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast