Thread: chmod isn't working

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

chmod isn't working

I am trying to change the permissions for a folder I have mounted on an ntfs partition that if mounted through fstab on startup. It is owned by me through fstab, and is also owned by my group (just me). I used
    Code:
    sudo chmod -Rv 755 /windows/XAMPP/htdocs
    It runs through saying that it has changed all the permissions but when I run an ls -l the permissions aren't changed at all.

It's currently drwxrwx--- and I want drwxrwxr-x.

My fstab line for that partition looks like:
    Code:
    UUID=1E6EF10F6EF0E087 /windows        ntfs    defaults,nls=utf8,umask=007,gid=1002,uid=1002 0       0
    I think the problem is with my umask setting, perhaps it needs to be 002? I just realized this now though, I will try it and get back to this thread (via Edit). For now, any input would be great.

The reason for changing the permissions is because I want to make a symlink from my default apache directory (currently set to ~/www) at ~/www/htdocs and make that directory work for both my windows apache and linux apache.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: chmod isn't working

UPDATE: It was the umask, when I set it to umask=002 it worked perfectly. Well, what a waste of a thread. Hopefully at least someone gets assistance from it...
    Last edited by sdlynx; August 14th, 2010 at 09:44 PM.